Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

moms teaching K to their kids....what are you doing this week? 8/27

Posted by   + Show Post

I would love to hear and even see some of the ideas and projects you are doing!

by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Replies (41-49):
BramblePatch
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM
We are still on Summer break...so DS is just reading me a book a day...He alternates between books from the seried BOB Books Advancing Readers and BOB Books Kindergarten Sight Words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM

We are not doing much at all compared to some of you...lol.  But this is our first year HS and I also have two 9th graders (first year HS also).  So, I am still trying to learn and organize everything.

Anywya, we are learning letter sounds (only 5 more to go), writing letters in manuscript (will be moving to cursive by Thanksgiving), count to 100 daily, count by 10's and 5's, and we started learning how to count by 2's.  We are writing our numbers 11-15.  We also go over the days of the week everyday and what the weather is.  We started our months of the year and seasons yesterday. She reads to me for 10 minutes every day.   I am hoping to get to start reading to her for 10 minutes everyday this week also.   My daughter did help me fix a cake and slaw Saturday evening...

We have not started science, health, history, or social studies yet. I have been so busy trying to get everything organized for my 9th graders that I've just not had time.  Hopefully by next week, everything will be organized for them and typed up and they will know the schedule. 

I forgot to mention that we just started last Wednesday so we have only been HS for a week.  I know that things will get better organized.  It is just a matter of getting everything sorted into a routine that works for us.

Xakana
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Well, we do 7 subects (two non-core) a day (my state requires 1000 recorded hours). For math, we are doing a different number focus each day--she practices writing the number, then its written component and then does the sums for it. Writing, she practices writing letters and works on her penmanship. All the subjects have an overlap, too. Like on Monday, for science, we did mammals and then sang "Old McDonald" with only mammals on the farm and her spelling words had three mammals. Yesterday was learning about birds and we did an art project where she cut out 'feathers' and made wings and a tail for a bird body I cut out for her. Bird and Egg were added to her spelling words.

Social studies--the first day was her address, city, state, country and continent, then we went on google maps to see our house and zoom out and try to find ourselves on the map. She adored it. Yesterday was her role in the family--she's a big sister to two little sisters, a daughter, a granddaughter--that sort of thing. '

So far, she's loving it :)

Author of Urban Fantasy/Psychological Horror "Hotel of Lost Souls." If you like Anita Blake, you should check it out!

altmans6
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

math  what comes next in number sequence....  money  which is always a favorite  haha!!  reading daily as usual  pointing out easy words for her to sound out as we read.  reviewing site words.  we planted a pumpkin garden for our science project (not sure how it will do here in fl!)   letter recognition almost mastered  minus some lower case.  

HomeEduIsCool
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

hello all!

i know i don't post often, i do apologize....things have been very VERY crazy around here.  

in terms of what i do with my child that is in the 'k' through grade 1 level...i buy these big/mega books from target and we just take the book one section at a time.  a lot of that stuff (when my little girl can focus...lol) she's already done.  so we can just run right through them onto the next section.  the book contains a lot of things that allows the child to make connections to things in that section...for example: for the 'letters' section, it will be 'A' 'a'...trace, write, things starting with a....then pages that reinforce where 'a' fits into a word be it, in the beginning of a word, in the middle, or the end.  

this time around, i took the liberty of buying her a 'k' book and a first grade book.

mrs.musquiz
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

it seems like you are all doing much more than we are! We have only been doing this for 8 days though. I teach from the ABeka reading curriculum, The Core of writing curriculum, but I don't follow a set curriculum for math, science and social studies. I mostly get those lessons from workbooks and lesson pathways. We start a co-op in september, where my son will be taking P.E., Art, and Backyard Science. Every parent must help teach two classes. So I will be co-teaching preschool  one period, and Kindergarten Backyard science another period.

This week in our reading we will be reviewing the Letters Ii,Uu, and learning the letter Ee in reading. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one of the books we will be reading this week. We have Writers workshop everyday for our writing curriculum. Last week we started with shapes for math (my son already recognizes numbers up to 20, so I decided we will start with shapes first) This week we will be reviewing shapes and learn patterns/sequences. We only do science and social studies twice a week. For science we will be learning the roles of a scientist; what is a scientist? What do they do? How to conduct an experiment. We will be doing an experiment on classification of solids, liquids and gas. We also do weather everyday during morning and calander routine. For history we will be learning about citizens in our community, and making a "Helping hands" wreath.

duchessofdirt
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM

We won't start until the second week in September. This summer we did have a summer activity book to make sure they didn't forget some of the things they learned throught the school year but we are basically hanging out doing stuff outside with family and friends.  

sheila5745
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I have started with some Math, and Christopher Columbus. She enjoyed that.. She has done some reading for me. But having a tough time getting her back into the program. She does do Pt. Ot and Speech. She will do work I put in a folder, so atleast we are getting some things done.. Any ideas on how to get the schedule back. She has autism with mod. m.r. and going to be 14 in a couple of months...

Thanks any one that has any ideas....

allthatjazz251
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Turned 5 in June. A friend of mine did the same thing. 

Quoting aneela:

how old is she?

Quoting allthatjazz251:

DD is not officially enrolled in a homeschooling program. It is not mandatory in CA so we are saving money. I am going to delay formal education and just focus on whatever she is showing an interest in at the moment.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN