Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Everyone always has their own input. *Rant*

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 12 Replies

I apologize ahead of time. I am so annoyed right now and am hoping that at least someone understands where I am coming from.

My three children, 6, 8, & 10, are homeschooled and have been the whole time. We have lessons and worksheets that we do. We had spent all week and weekend working on Butterflies and Insects. I needed a break yesterday. So we watched Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

When I told this to my friend, she is putting it down that those aren't educational. I explained that they are still learning. But I was told that they aren't learning what the difference between warm-blooded and cold-blooded means. I didn't know that that is all science was about. And honestly we have gone over warm-blooded and cold-blooded so much that my kids could probably recite it in their sleep. I went to public school yet it was Bill Nye that taught me about gravity. Not the school. And those aren't the only science that we watch. We include The Universe and Through the Wormhole, along with our lesson plans.

I feel that my children are getting a wide variety of information. And they can explain more about science then even some adults that I know. My daughter, 8, had to explain to her grandmother what a star is made of. Because grandma didn't know. After grandma left I got to hear from my "oh so smart" 8 yr old that she doesn't understand why some adults "aren't smart". lol

My issue is that everyone I know always has to make a negative comment about homeschooling and that I am wrong for limiting my children. My children are intelligent and are learning more than I did in public school when I was their age. And if people aren't making a negative comment and putting me down, they have to tell me how I should be teaching them and what I should be teaching them with.

Why do people always have to butt in? Am I alone in dealing with this?

Sorry this ended up longer than I planned.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

*hugs* You're not alone. While I don't hear it from friends (because I only have 2, lol), my family isn't down with it. My brother, especially, rants and raves, no matter how often my kids 'perform' well for the crowd. He can't even spell at a third grade level, but he wants to see my kids put in a public school before I ruin them anymore. I just tell him, "Do what you want with your kids, (when he has them. He has no kids.) I'll do what I want with mine."

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM
No your not. I just dealt with my Bil leaving a comment on a picture on fb telling me I needed to put them in ps so they could be socialized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

you are doing great your friend doesn't know what she is talking about.  Tell her that you are the teacher and you don't need her input.

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Tell your  friend if you wanted her opinion, you would ask for it.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

oredeb
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM

awwwww people just dont like something they dont know about, so all they have to say about it is gona be negative,  eventually your friend will notice how well schooled! your kids are!  dont let your friend dictate how you homeschool, she doesnt know.

and no ive never had anyone to my face butt in or say negative things about our homeschool, but ive always been surrounded by homeschooling families and family members!

maggiandmike
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this
My grandmother tried to tell me that the "founding fathers" intended for people to use public schools....
No, Gmother, those men didn't go to formal school until they were adults. Thomas Jefferson definitely only went to university. Lincoln?! He was homeschooled.
She didn't have a response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DesireMM
by Desire' on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Thank you all for the support. It has definitely helped to know I am not alone. I just wish more people could see the benefits of homeschooling.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Bill Nye's science videos and discovered a pre-algebra one that DD will be using today (I had no idea that Bill Nye had a math video).  DS told me that he'd already seen the Bill Nye "Phases of Matter" video when he was in P.S. a few years ago, so it was familiar to him, but he didn't mind watching it again with me.  Not sure why your friend thinks public schools don't use videos. Teachers don't talk all day.

As far as what people say, just remember that the homeschool protests are usually made by people who have little or no experience with the issue - they are ignorant about the topic.  IMO, they should be asking questions, so that they may replace their ignorance about homeschooling with a knowledge of it.

***hugs***

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Until homeschooling becomes the norm we all will have this problem. Just know that your child will be the ones that learn for the love of it & when the changes that inevitably come with time your kids will be the ones that can adapt to it the fastest!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Aww! Lots of Hugs to you sweetpea.  :)

No, you are not alone. This happens to a lot of homeschooling families.  Sometimes there will be moments in your homeschooling adventurous lives that nothing you say and or do will change the opinions of those that don't want to have their opinions changed.  So, how you respond to their comments is very important. You look these opinions in the face and say, you know, thats okay that you feel like that but what's not okay is you deciding that you have A right to tell your opinion without being asked and I kindly am telling you to NOT speak your opinions without first asking if its okay.  You also say.. that you do not tell them how to have better sex, so they should not tell you how to have a better educated child.  Then smile and go on about your business.  After saying this a few times, most people will not offer their personal opinions anymore. Just their general opinions.   :)   

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)