Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Everyone always has their own input. *Rant*

Posted by   + Show Post

I apologize ahead of time. I am so annoyed right now and am hoping that at least someone understands where I am coming from.

My three children, 6, 8, & 10, are homeschooled and have been the whole time. We have lessons and worksheets that we do. We had spent all week and weekend working on Butterflies and Insects. I needed a break yesterday. So we watched Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

When I told this to my friend, she is putting it down that those aren't educational. I explained that they are still learning. But I was told that they aren't learning what the difference between warm-blooded and cold-blooded means. I didn't know that that is all science was about. And honestly we have gone over warm-blooded and cold-blooded so much that my kids could probably recite it in their sleep. I went to public school yet it was Bill Nye that taught me about gravity. Not the school. And those aren't the only science that we watch. We include The Universe and Through the Wormhole, along with our lesson plans.

I feel that my children are getting a wide variety of information. And they can explain more about science then even some adults that I know. My daughter, 8, had to explain to her grandmother what a star is made of. Because grandma didn't know. After grandma left I got to hear from my "oh so smart" 8 yr old that she doesn't understand why some adults "aren't smart". lol

My issue is that everyone I know always has to make a negative comment about homeschooling and that I am wrong for limiting my children. My children are intelligent and are learning more than I did in public school when I was their age. And if people aren't making a negative comment and putting me down, they have to tell me how I should be teaching them and what I should be teaching them with.

Why do people always have to butt in? Am I alone in dealing with this?

Sorry this ended up longer than I planned.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Replies (11-12):
Prahl
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Homeschooling is a luxury we go from two income to one to give our kids the best education we can. She is just green with envey wishing she could do the same. Not even politicians send their kids to public they pay for better education. Lol
EiuGirl316
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

What's wrong with Bill Nye? I loved watching him when I was a kid and learned a lot from him.

Who cares what they think? If you're happy with your decision, tell her so and maybe she'll stop making comments. :-) If she keeps making comments, ignore her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)