Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help again ladies!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I need some advice. I am running into a few issues our first year homeschooling. I am finding #1 That my 7 yr olds brain can only focus so long on school work before it shuts down. About 2 hrs is all he can handle. But I am finding most days I can't get everything done in this amount of time. My first thought was to drop it and come back. But if we do that its always worse. Its like he has a time between breakfast and lunch to work and otherwise he just can't keep focus. So I dont know what I should do. I dont want to push him because he is doing so well as far as not having complete melt downs like he did in public school. And he isn't getting upset with himself (unless I try to push him past the point where his brain has already shut down) I just don't know if I should just do what we can do and not stress if it doesn't all get done in a day or what? For example...today we got English, Spelling, and Writing done. When we tried to move to math and I asked him what 1-1 was. And he couldn't come up with the answer, I KNEW it was time to call it quits LOL. Ok..and here is my other concern. I also am trying to homeschool my almost 4 yr old. He seems very anxious to learn and loves the one on one attention. I found very quickly he could only do work for about 30 min at best. How do you ladies work with different age children? Do you do it all at the same time? Or do you come up with something for one while working with the other? Neither of my children will do work without me standing over them LITERALLY. So I dont know what to do to occupy one while I work with the other. I have a 2 yr old as well so I am kinda lost LOL 

Kinda OT from homeschooling to. I have been frustrated with myself and the way I am handling my almost 4 yr old. He seems to ALWAYS be in trouble. And he thrives on it. It honestly makes me want to send him to school because I feel like I am missing some kind of structure maybe he can get there. But he is SUPER smart. Probably too smart for his own good LOL. And he knows he is adorable which is part of the problem. But through out the day schooling or not he wants to do things wrong. I know its to get attention and I try to ignore the bad and praise the good but I dont see it make a difference. He will for example climb and jump off something after I tell him not to. Or break something, or touch something, etc after I just say no. And he has this crappy grin like I am too cute on his face when he does it. I kinda feel like I am losing my mind with him. I mean he isn't a horrible child. Or completely out of control. I just feel like I am not correcting him correctly LOL or not giving him the attention he needs. Does anyone have a child like this? or have ideas, activities, ect that may help. My first son had hearing loss until he was 3 1/2 he was a child will needs much different thing my second son. My oldest never understood what he did wrong, he didn't do things wrong on purpose. So its really hard for me to understand a son who purposely is breaking the rules just to get the attention. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And I am sorry I know its not really homeschool related but I figured some of you may have experienced these type of kiddos. Thanks again

Praying for our miracle Baby!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kajira
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I only give about 20 minutes of book work per day. everything else is hands on learning, and almost all of our school work is geared at making it fun.

example, this week is spiders... I printed out all sorts of reading on spiders, and gave him art projects, and later, we'll go outside and explore and try to find spiders and talk about their life cycles and what they eat.

Learning can be more "Fun" then work - All of his writing projects and reading is geared at our current subject of interest... that way he does all the different stuff, but it can be on a subject he's interested in before we move on to something else.

Our spider week also includes spider safety, and what you do if you get bit... specifically by a brown recluse or black widow since we have both here and how to recongnize them.

So, it's science, education, common sense, applicable learning stuff, field exposure to finding them and looking at them for real, history of how they got their names - geography, where to find them in the USA and the world, etc.

It covers everything. If you do it in weekly sections like that, it makes it so much easier to keep them interested.

His journal writing would be making stories up about spiders, answering questions about stuff we learned, telling me information as if I didn't know it... :) 

He also likes videos with spiders and other stuff.

You really can tailor each week to cover different stuff, but have it include "all" the different things you need to learn about and incoporate it.

Math is really the only stand alone thing, and we do spectrum worksheets for that.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Annastacialynn
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Have you tried doing school in a block form? Maybe choosing to do math, English, and science on m,w,f/and/handwriting, spelling and history on t,th? (Fill in the subjects to each day as you wish) :-). You could do a 2 hour time block 5 days a week year round taking a week off here and there. It would be a little bit longer, but it could help. You could always readjust next year if needed. :-).

Right now I'm only homeschooling one kid - my daughter is 1 so we are doing school while she naps. Maybe I'll learn something about homeschooling 2 kids from your post too! :-)

Your 4 year old sounds a bit like my son sometimes. We have a ticket system that seems to be working right now. He needs to earn a certain amount of tickets and then he gets a small prize. Right now he is earning 200 tickets to get a set of squinkies. You could do so many tickets for ice cream out with just mommy, or dinner out, or an hour with just daddy type of things too. He earns tickets for behaving and doing chores and helping his sister, things that I want him to learn or do more of. He looses tickets for backtalk , being mean to his sister, disobeying, things I don't want him doing. :-). If he loses 3 tickets I start taking 3 minutes of bedtime off instead of tickets (he would have lost all his tickets some days!) :-). It takes a few days for everyone to get used to, but it seems to be working. I hope this helps! Kids are such a mystery aren't they? :-). Hugs!
NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thanks the ticket idea sounds neat :) Thanks. I will definately have to try that out!!

Quoting Annastacialynn:

Have you tried doing school in a block form? Maybe choosing to do math, English, and science on m,w,f/and/handwriting, spelling and history on t,th? (Fill in the subjects to each day as you wish) :-). You could do a 2 hour time block 5 days a week year round taking a week off here and there. It would be a little bit longer, but it could help. You could always readjust next year if needed. :-).

Right now I'm only homeschooling one kid - my daughter is 1 so we are doing school while she naps. Maybe I'll learn something about homeschooling 2 kids from your post too! :-)

Your 4 year old sounds a bit like my son sometimes. We have a ticket system that seems to be working right now. He needs to earn a certain amount of tickets and then he gets a small prize. Right now he is earning 200 tickets to get a set of squinkies. You could do so many tickets for ice cream out with just mommy, or dinner out, or an hour with just daddy type of things too. He earns tickets for behaving and doing chores and helping his sister, things that I want him to learn or do more of. He looses tickets for backtalk , being mean to his sister, disobeying, things I don't want him doing. :-). If he loses 3 tickets I start taking 3 minutes of bedtime off instead of tickets (he would have lost all his tickets some days!) :-). It takes a few days for everyone to get used to, but it seems to be working. I hope this helps! Kids are such a mystery aren't they? :-). Hugs!

Praying for our miracle Baby!

NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I probably should add that doing the block form sounds like a good idea to. I just worry about getting everything done we need to get done. KWIM. But I may try that. It certainly takes the stress off of me LOL I am sure it will him too :)

Quoting Annastacialynn:

NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thanks. Yea I have really limited book work because I didn't want him to get bored with it. But I guess I need to bump it up a bit. Thanks again!

Quoting kajira:

I only give about 20 minutes of book work per day. everything else is hands on learning, and almost all of our school work is geared at making it fun.

example, this week is spiders... I printed out all sorts of reading on spiders, and gave him art projects, and later, we'll go outside and explore and try to find spiders and talk about their life cycles and what they eat.

Learning can be more "Fun" then work - All of his writing projects and reading is geared at our current subject of interest... that way he does all the different stuff, but it can be on a subject he's interested in before we move on to something else.

Our spider week also includes spider safety, and what you do if you get bit... specifically by a brown recluse or black widow since we have both here and how to recongnize them.

So, it's science, education, common sense, applicable learning stuff, field exposure to finding them and looking at them for real, history of how they got their names - geography, where to find them in the USA and the world, etc.

It covers everything. If you do it in weekly sections like that, it makes it so much easier to keep them interested.

His journal writing would be making stories up about spiders, answering questions about stuff we learned, telling me information as if I didn't know it... :) 

He also likes videos with spiders and other stuff.

You really can tailor each week to cover different stuff, but have it include "all" the different things you need to learn about and incoporate it.

Math is really the only stand alone thing, and we do spectrum worksheets for that.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Two hours of focused study is plenty at age 7. At that age, I would suggest blocking your schedule; math, reading, and writing daily, and alternate science and history (Mon, Wed, Fri - science; Tues, Thurs - history). Those are your core subjects, anything else is cake at that age. Work for timed increments, not by the lesson; so work for 20 minutes on math, writing for 15 minutes, reading for an hour, and science or history for the rest of your allotted two hours, with short breaks in between. Can he snack or move around while working on oral recitations for work (or even while reading)? Maybe something like TOPS units for science, in place of a book.

Working with two different ages...

I'm currently homeschooling a preschooler (3) and a middle schooler (11). My plan is to have Autumn do her independent work in the morning for a couple hours, while I do preschool work with my son, then do my daughter's teacher intensive work in the afternoon while my preschooler has his mandatory "rest" period (not a nap necessarily, but he needs to play quietly in his room). You can't do that yet because your eldest is still too young for independent work, but you could scoot the preschooler off with an assignment to "color" or "draw" something.

No advice on the behaviour right this second - my own Preschool Spawn is begging for more chicken. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

LOL thank you!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Two hours of focused study is plenty at age 7. At that age, I would suggest blocking your schedule; math, reading, and writing daily, and alternate science and history (Mon, Wed, Fri - science; Tues, Thurs - history). Those are your core subjects, anything else is cake at that age. Work for timed increments, not by the lesson; so work for 20 minutes on math, writing for 15 minutes, reading for an hour, and science or history for the rest of your allotted two hours, with short breaks in between. Can he snack or move around while working on oral recitations for work (or even while reading)? Maybe something like TOPS units for science, in place of a book.

Working with two different ages...

I'm currently homeschooling a preschooler (3) and a middle schooler (11). My plan is to have Autumn do her independent work in the morning for a couple hours, while I do preschool work with my son, then do my daughter's teacher intensive work in the afternoon while my preschooler has his mandatory "rest" period (not a nap necessarily, but he needs to play quietly in his room). You can't do that yet because your eldest is still too young for independent work, but you could scoot the preschooler off with an assignment to "color" or "draw" something.

No advice on the behaviour right this second - my own Preschool Spawn is begging for more chicken. Lol.

kajira
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Also - as to the behavior, you might have him evaluated.

My son acts that way and he's autistic. :) it doesn't hurt to rule out behavioral issues of a neurological thing, including ADD, autism, or other wiring that if you learn what it is, may be easier to work with and understand.

My son cries over school work and gets easily frustrated, we HAVE to break it down in smaller increments and be willing to help.

k12 didn't work as a kindergarten program for him because it was way to much work in a day for him. He couldn't sit still that long, it was too stressful.

Now, I can get him to sit still for longer periods of time, but I still try to give him the ability to go at his own pace. He has all day, as long as the book work is done by the end of the day, I don't care how long it takes.

The catch is, he doesn't get the key to his lego box until his school work done, so it's totally up to him on how much lego time he gets for the day. ;)

TeaHound
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM
With the older one: I would do 2 subjects at a time (if u can make it happen, twice a day); if u can't, I would get the work done w/ him that u can each day, but in such a way that he's not doing today's spelling, writing, and language, but missing math and geography (for instance). I would pick up with math the next day and maybe u get back around to spelling (for instance). I found that doing one assignment in each of 6 subjects five days a week, a child can cover a school year's worth of curriculum in 6 mos or less.
About the almost 4yo: when my youngest was 3 (it sounds like he and ur second son were cut from the.same cloth), I had 3 levels of punishment: 1 min timeout (for first time offense @bedtime or if he.was tired and couldn't really help it); 3 min timeout- standard discipline (and for second offense @bedtime); pop (1 swat on the butt) for second offense in general. I just stuck to these so he knew it was a bad thing to do wrong and worse to go out of his way to do it again, but I didn't want to make it a game "How far will Mommy go?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)