Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kind of OT Need advice (UPDATE )

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM
BJ
  • 18 Replies

Next week on Wednesday I have to attend a dinner with my Hubby for his job. The dilemma is I don't know many of the people that he works with or their spouses (Hubby is a very privet person & dose not like to mix work life with home life). I know I will have next to nothing in common with any of them, there is only one other SAHM & her child is a toddler & her & her husband have every intention of sending her off to PS. All the other wives are WM or not Moms at all.
The advice I need is how do I talk to them & not sound like the crazy unschooling, crunchy living, opposes government everything person that I am?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM
4 moms liked this

You ask them questions. You get interested in their lives. People love to talk about themselves and are flattered and pleased when people want to get to know them. That way, you'll have spent the entire evening socializing and you won't have to say much about yourself. You should probably think of a few stock answers about what you do, but no matter what you say, say it with a big smile and a lot of confidence. That gives no one room to dismiss your choices.

Also, talk about the latest book you read or movie you watched. That'll get folks rolling on similar topics and you won't have to do any conversation steering.

From a natural introvert who has learned how to work a room!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Sorry that the post posted 2 times!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

This is great advice !!  And,  I agree.  :) 

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

You ask them questions. You get interested in their lives. People love to talk about themselves and are flattered and pleased when people want to get to know them. That way, you'll have spent the entire evening socializing and you won't have to say much about yourself. You should probably think of a few stock answers about what you do, but no matter what you say, say it with a big smile and a lot of confidence. That gives no one room to dismiss your choices.

Also, talk about the latest book you read or movie you watched. That'll get folks rolling on similar topics and you won't have to do any conversation steering.

undefined

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Thanks I will definitely have to read a grown up book & watch a grown up movie between now & then.

I am usually out going & don't care what others think of me but it isdifferent when all that I say & do will come back on my Hubby & not me. I am the one that spear heads all the crazy that we end up doing! If it was up to Hubby we would be just like everyone else (he likes to keep a low profile) & I am all question everything do whats right not popular hahaha.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Kaliary
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I agree with Susan The Writer, but also, if they ask what YOU do, tell them you are a domestic engineer. ;) 

Trying to Conceive Ticker

baby

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Flatter one thing about each person, in turn. By the time you get down flattering people and them telling you about whatever thing you compliment you'll be eating and won't have to talk as much.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Or, take the bull by the horns and go wearing dreads and tye dye and refuse to eat anything because you only eat pineapple sauce. lol

TarotMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Let others lead the conversation and think before speaking. If you're like me though that'd be kinda hard. Lol! I'd just be myself and not worry about what they think.

oredeb
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

oh heck, talk to them like you noramally would,! they might be that way also but afraid to show it! ask them about their kids, their jobs, and if they ask about your tell them what you do!! be proud of it!hahahahahaha

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I love it!

Quoting Kaliary:

I agree with Susan The Writer, but also, if they ask what YOU do, tell them you are a domestic engineer. ;) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN