Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

helping a child with dyslexia

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

hello everyone!

so, as you know, i homeschool (okay, so maybe you didn't know, but since i joined a homeschool group, i just sorta figured it would be obvious...lol...okay, silly joke...i know! please forgive me, i don't get a lot of sleep, lots of crazy stuff going on in my world...lol)

well, i homeschool, as many of you do.  i have 3 children (age 10, age 5, and age 19months).  my 10yr old is where we started the homeschooling journey....and he gets better and better as time goes on.  yes, we have our hiccups, for he's still doing quite well.  well, i also homeschool my other kids too...but at this point, it's not like (of course) the level that my 10yr old is on.

well, yesterday, i had a conversation with a young lady in my building that is struggling with sooooo much.  one of her struggles is her 12yr old.  he has (finally/recently) been diagnosed with dyslexia.  the problem is, they keep passing him on from one grade to the next, meanwhile, he can not read, do math, or write (from what the mom tells me) on a 12yr old/6th-7th grade level.  he's still at a 2nd grade level.  so i said, with her permission, that i'd try to help him as much as i can.

my son (the 10yr old) also seemed to have some borderline dyslexic tendencies, along with some issues regarding math (dyscalculia...that's what i read and learned from the research.  some of you may already be familiar with it, but it's like a mathematic version of dyslexia.

i want to research and study up on some ways to help him, but since i've never met him, i'd like to get some assistance/help on ways to help him.  from what i've gathered just thinking about my son and from what i've heard about hers...this is what i understand thus far:

*comprehension wise, he's good!  she said that he's not 'stupid'/'dumb' or anything like that...so it seems that he can understand and comprehend well.  she feels he also is aware that something is 'off' or different about him.

-with respect to this point, i was thinking of maybe interviewing him, get to know him, and then find out what he likes; what he's interested in...and then maybe find resources and tools catered around what he likes that will help him.

*she said he spaces out...his mind wanders, he looses focus quickly and it's like she'll be talking to him, but he's not listening to a word she's saying.  and it sounds like he does quite often, quite easy.  i told her [just based on my opinion, and based on what i've seen with my son] he does that as an escape.  i'll talk to my son and he'll get bored instantly, ESPECIALLY if it's not something that he wants to hear either because it's not of interest, or because i've talked 'too long' and used 'too many words' (these are the words used to describe me from my son and my hubby...lol)

-with respect to this point, i also was thinkin of making the conversation all about him.  really just talk and listen to him.  not take any notes or anything (i'll do all of that later), just have an honest discussion with him.  and, just like what i've stated already, i'll talk to him about what he wants, what he likes, and what he's interested in.

*she said that the school(s) he's attended prior to the one he's at now, did not evaluate him, did not test him, and now the schools don't or 'can't' give an 'F' as a failing grade.  so his report card just looked like straight 'D's'.  He's not turning in homework, his handwriting is very very lacking, and yet, they keep passing him on to the next grade level.  now, i don't know much about the 'no kid left behind' but, it sounds like that's what happened here.  also, i've been told that some teachers HAVE to pass the kids on to the next grades or risk the chance of getting terminated fro their teaching position.

so.....with all that being said, i just really want to help this mom and her son.  she's dealing with so much, and i've invited her to church and to speak to my pastor (he's awesome!) regarding some other things, but in terms of her son, i think i may be able to help him.  i just want to know what to do.  he's not my baby, but i'm concerned for him, and i don't think she has the money to pay for expensvie tutors...so i want to be her free, on-site help.  

do you ladies think i can do it?

would you all do it?

have you done it?

what can i do to help her?

thank you ladies (in advance) for your help!

have a great day!

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HomeEduIsCool
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

No...she didn't give me any details as of yet.  I don't think she meant to tell me that part, because of all of the other stuff she's dealing with.   Not de-valuing her life, but her son being dyslexic seems to be the 'least' of her issues right now.  Not to say that she doesn't care, she does...she just needed to vent yesterday and this is the longest conversation we've had since we've both moved into this building.  If I talk to her today, I will ask if she was told anything else regarding his dyslexia.

From what I was told yesterday, he struggles with reading in terms of he reads things backwards...so rather than him seeing   EAT he'll see TAE (just giving you an example based of our discussion yesterday).  He struggles with math and with reading, I threw in writing because (from I've learned) these things tend to be tied into one another. 

oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

yes i think you can do it

yes i would

ive not done it,

heres some sites that might help

http://www.thehealthyhomeschool.com/dyslexia

is he a visual learner? maybe thats why he tunes people out after a while?

i teach a boy now that will try to tune out, but i have kept on him for the last 7 years so he learned not to tune out!hahaha

http://homeschoolingonjuniperhill.blogspot.com/2010/11/struggling-reader-part-1.html

http://www.time4learning.net/content/successfully-homeschooling-your-child-dyslexia-610/

http://www.homeschoolviews.com/askamom/askamom-apr06.html

http://www.thehealthyhomeschool.com/dyslexia

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Without knowing his exact struggles, I can only recommend curricula geared towards dyslexics (or that have proven successful with them):

Calvert's Verticy program (they have writing, spelling, reading, and grammar programs)

All About Reading/All About Spelling

Barton

Apples and Pears (spelling)

Dancing Bears (reading - same company as Apples and Pears)

My daughter is dyslexic.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

southernwldchld
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

My 8yo ds is dyslexic. He is reading at a fourth grade level now and in a gifted reading program. It took us until he was 7 to find a program for him and he just ran with it. 

First you need to understand dyslexia. So many people think it's just swapping letters and it is so much more. There can be a lot of auditory problems. It makes phonics very difficult to understand. 

For some reason Kaiden just did fantastic with Hooked on Phonics. Which I have and also have copies of the discs and workbooks on my computer. 

If you can find out exactly what he's having issues with. Do the words move on the paper for him? Does he have problems staying on lines? Does his vision change and he's suddenly looking at a different spot? Things like that, and let me know what's going on I can try and help you find solutions for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN