Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trouble with math.

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
Last year my dd was in first grade. I pulled her out of ps after winter break. Long story but when we started doing math I had to reteach her how to read numbers. Like when I wrote 51 she would read it as 15. So after that we went back to basics. She passed all the tests. Then we had summer break. She has half siblings and they are in ps. So we took the summer with them. Well now it's like I need to start totally over in math. Not the how to read a number but adding and subtracting. How do I get her to remember it? She reads just fine and enjoys science. She loved reading about plants and how they grow then going out with grandma and they both pointing out trees and all that. Social studies is fun and she loves language arts. Math though is just a headache. Should I get a workbook of just first grade math? Or keep pushing ahead with second grade math and wait for her to remember??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM
I would try a mastery approach like Math U see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

sometimes reviewing it for a while will help bring it back,  usually at the beginnings of books they do reviews, what math book are you using?

if it was my child i'd give her a couple weeks in the second grade book, and see how she does, if still not getting it, try the first grade one as review, and yu can always keep doing the second grade one!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This is what I would do too. 

Quoting oredeb:

sometimes reviewing it for a while will help bring it back,  usually at the beginnings of books they do reviews, what math book are you using?

if it was my child i'd give her a couple weeks in the second grade book, and see how she does, if still not getting it, try the first grade one as review, and yu can always keep doing the second grade one!

undefined

taylamill
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I'm using Scott foresman mathematics. I have the teacher book along with the student and the test books. I found a review test and let her do 100 problems. She missed twelve and the ones she missed was because she added when she should have subtracted or subbed when she should have added. But I really happy with the results of that. She will do 100 more today that a with a little bit bigger numbers then tomorrow with some more bigger numbers. After the last part I think I will know where she stands hopefully.

Thank you so much.

Quoting oredeb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

yea!! glad shes working it out taylamill!!! i like that scott forsman math, where did you get it??

Quoting taylamill:

I'm using Scott foresman mathematics. I have the teacher book along with the student and the test books. I found a review test and let her do 100 problems. She missed twelve and the ones she missed was because she added when she should have subtracted or subbed when she should have added. But I really happy with the results of that. She will do 100 more today that a with a little bit bigger numbers then tomorrow with some more bigger numbers. After the last part I think I will know where she stands hopefully.

Thank you so much.

Quoting oredeb:

taylamill
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

E-bay.  I got our language arts, science, social studies, math books all in one lot.  It also came with the teacher books and test books.  I had to order the science workbook though from a different person and I'm also ordering the workbook for language arts but that is through the company.  It is just cheaper that way.  Plus I'm a little tired of hand writing the reteach and pratice lessons onto paper lol.  But thats how we are doing it until the workbook gets here.  Also the same with social studies.  I like the typical classroom teaching (like how I was taught in p.s) v.s. how they do it now.  My step kids have laptops and barely ever write a word.  I just dont like it.  Anyways I am so happy that it is looking better.

Quoting oredeb:

yea!! glad shes working it out taylamill!!! i like that scott forsman math, where did you get it??

Quoting taylamill:

Thank you so much.

Quoting oredeb:

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

This is the reason that many math books have 40 lessons of review at the beginning of the book. It isn't uncommon for kids to forget.

Does she seem to understand the meaning behind the numbers? Can she count and sort items into groups, place items into patterns? Have you used any counters (bears, buttons, etc.) to demonstrate adding and subtracting?

I really liked the 2nd grade R&S (Rod & Staff, a Mennonite publisher but the math is not really that religious)  for teaching the math addition and subtraction facts. It is pretty gentle, mastery, and spends a lot of time with the facts so they are cemented in the child's memory.

We use CLE now (like it better for many reasons), but it would be too advanced, I think, for your student. It can be quite challenging. We used R&S 1 and 2 then switched, and I don't regret that at all. It was perfect for my dd.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is this way every Monday! Seriously. It's like, math falls out of her head if she doesn't do it every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taylamill
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Well I don't feel so alone now. I always make sure I sound and look excited when it's math time but I'm screaming on the inside. Math is our worst subject. I was great at math in school. Loved it but dd just hates it. One day I'm sure it will get better. I'll pray for you and your dd.

Quoting hipmomto3:

My dd is this way every Monday! Seriously. It's like, math falls out of her head if she doesn't do it every day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taylamill
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM
When I use beans or anything for counting she never gets it. Anything hands on just flies right by her. She does understand and I just graded her review test from today. I made sure she slowed down and looked at the symbol to make sure it was either adding or subbing. She got them all correct this time. Maybe she does get it and I'm over reacting idk but it's looking up.

Quoting lucsch:

This is the reason that many math books have 40 lessons of review at the beginning of the book. It isn't uncommon for kids to forget.

Does she seem to understand the meaning behind the numbers? Can she count and sort items into groups, place items into patterns? Have you used any counters (bears, buttons, etc.) to demonstrate adding and subtracting?

I really liked the 2nd grade R&S (Rod & Staff, a Mennonite publisher but the math is not really that religious)  for teaching the math addition and subtraction facts. It is pretty gentle, mastery, and spends a lot of time with the facts so they are cemented in the child's memory.

We use CLE now (like it better for many reasons), but it would be too advanced, I think, for your student. It can be quite challenging. We used R&S 1 and 2 then switched, and I don't regret that at all. It was perfect for my dd.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)