Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

*sigh* She was a little cracked around the edges anyway.

We pulled DD out of 9th grade at Easter last year after a critical downturn in her depression. We deschooled some, casually went through an American Poetry study, took it easy.She sees a therapist, but had been doing so well, we took her off her meds a couple of months ago. She was still dealing with some anxiety and not handling those episodes in the healthiest way, but it was a much smaller mountain to climb.

She said she only wanted to hs this year and go back to ps for her jr and sr years, so I took my plan from that. My plan is a thing of beauty. It's academically rigorous and covers a lot of ground, but it's not overly demanding or harsh.

We started back up full-time last week. Well, kind of. I gave her a brief list of assignments on Monday and told her she had all week to get them done. Come Friday, she hadn't done anything, so I went ballistic. As I said elsewhere, I went all shock-and-awe on her and our schedule went from "get it done however you like" to "sit your butt in the chair across from me every day until the work is finished." Not fun for anyone, but we were almost entirely caught up with last weeks work and well on our way to finishing this week's assignments.

Until yesterday when she dragged upstairs and asked if she could go back on her anti-depressants. One freaked out visit to our behavioural health center later, she'll be doing intensive out-patient therapy every day for the next couple of weeks.

After talking with her about school, she said the pressure started building the very first day when she got the list, then proceeded to talk herself into being too overwhelmed to even start it.

I'm going to have to talk with DH and let him know that if this child is going to cave under the slightest academic pressure, I'm going to need the next 3 yrs to get her through everything she needs to know, but I can't do it at the school's pace. We may need to be year-round relaxed schoolers to get it all done by summer of 2015. We can do it, but not with 'gotta get back to school' hanging over our heads.

*deeeeeeep breath* Ok. This is me, being flexible like the mom on The Incredibles.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-17):
downsouthjunkin
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I'm sorry your DD has been having problems. Would you be willing to share any/all plans that you have for your DD's high school years? Since you are a writer,  that would really help me with trying to figure out DD's Lang. Arts/Grammar/ Writing curriculum (kind of give me a different perspective). I'm not to the high school stage yet, but I am trying to prepare.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I wrote a post about our high school English plan here, downsouth. Hope it helps!

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

I'm sorry your DD has been having problems. Would you be willing to share any/all plans that you have for your DD's high school years? Since you are a writer,  that would really help me with trying to figure out DD's Lang. Arts/Grammar/ Writing curriculum (kind of give me a different perspective). I'm not to the high school stage yet, but I am trying to prepare.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

downsouthjunkin
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I wrote a post about our high school English plan here, downsouth. Hope it helps!

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

That looks very helpful. Thank-you.

homeschoolx3
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM

That may be the best thing to do for her. Prayers going out for you and your family.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Aww Susan, I can sooo relate! My eldest has Aspergers and severe anxiety (he actually purges like a bulimic, not fingers down the throat, but his body naturally purges). We had the same issue when I tried to start using work boxes. It was all purrty and organized. We were all stoked! I gave both kids a list of that weeks assignments. My youngest blew through the work in a day so he could have the rest of the week off. But my eldest didn't get ANYTHING done. I did the same as you, practically turned into a drill Sargent and sat on him until the list was done. Making us both miserable. Finally it was like a light bulb went off. Duh, he has anxiety! So where I get an insanely strong thrill from checking off a list as things get completed (am i over hsaring? Lol) that is NOT how it works for my son. Instead he'll stress about which to choose, which should be more important, etc.

So instead, I gave him a single assignment. When that assignment was complete, he wrote it on our dry erase board. So essentially it was the list, but backwards (where the things on the list were only things finished, so the list isn't complete until the end of the week). It's the only way we can get anything done that is an actual assignment, rather than his own initiative.

Hugs, & good luck!!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

BLJBarnes2000
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I have never met a child who wanted to go to school to learn. However, getting involved with everyday learning through cooking, DIY projects like painting a bedroom and field trips to see such things as a dairy farm, pumpkin patch, etc. can encourage learning.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for your encouragement! I guess we all have a learning curve - I didn't realize ours would look like a roller coaster. *gg*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)