Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where to start?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is 4-1/2 and is in a private preschool.  I would love to homeschool her next year but I don't know where to start.  I thought this year could be my "test run" and we can do things on her non-school days.  Where do you start?  How do you do a lesson plan?  Where did you get your curriculum?

The best thing graphics

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM
A lot of people like letteroftheweek.com if you are ok with christian based crriculum but many don't even use curriculum at that age.

Shapes, color, numbers, letters and sounds and some nature walks, discussions about town and the community and life is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weberbaby
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM
I'll check out that site, thanks. I've got no problems with a Christian curriculum.

She knows letters, shapes, can count to twenty and this week started adding, she knows letters but can't write them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

A lot of people like letteroftheweek.com if you are ok with christian based crriculum but many don't even use curriculum at that age.

Shapes, color, numbers, letters and sounds and some nature walks, discussions about town and the community and life is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM

hi weberbaby and welcome!!

you could take her out of the private preschool and just enjoy her at home! whatever you do with her she is learning!!!

you dont have to have a curriculum to teach her, use what you have at home

like jinx said letter of the week, and theres starfall.com

you can read to her, teach her songs, to dance, play, read poems to her, teach her that learning is fun!! enjoyable!

do arts and crafts with her(i did this with my kids at 4 and 5 they learned so much, and thats all we did! read and arts and crafts!)

handwriting- let her paint on large paper, paint pictures, color,

phonics- (if shes ready, dont force her!) do the sites above, refrig magnets letter on a metal cookie sheet, teach her the sounds of her name if its easy! using index cards start with simple letters, like d on one card a on another and d on another, m, o,  just simple stuff at first, put abcs on the wall, when she learns a sound look for items in the house that start with it,etc but make sure she wants to learn to read and dont force it

math- count bugs, buttons, silverware, socks, rocks, let her see that each item has a number(that will help her later in math) gather 2 rocks and take 1 away and theres 1 left! simple things, put numbers on the wall, colors,

science- nature walks!! bring a drawing pad, and crayons, look for bugs, animals leaves, rocks to draw and talk about , can also look them up on internet and check out some library books,

history- talk about your family with her, draw her a simple map of where you live, then follow it by walking !

well those are some ideas that i did with my kids, and it didnt cost hardly anything, so you dont need a curriculum to  teach your daughter!

all the above only takes about and hour or 2 a day and thats all they need, since its one on one!

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

As a home school workshop leader, I get asked this question  a lot.  So I put together a free web page to help.  You can find it at the following link:

Home School: How to Get Started.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN