Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

criticism

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter is 5 yrs. old and I really don't want to put her in our public schools so I decided to homeschool her through a christian program. Already I am hearing the criticism, things like she won't get any social skills, she will never have prom, and so many more. I don't know what to say back or how to take it. Does anyonelse go through this??

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure we have all been there! Just tell them they are getting plenty of social time, and prom etc is not an absolute in their development and wellbeing.

downsouthjunkin
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If she is only five, you will have tons of time to find a homeschool support group, coop, etc., and then you can plan a homeschoolers prom if you want.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You are not alone. There will always be someone who has something negative to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I could give you all kinds of responses, but really just ignore them. You will have opposition, but you aren't answerable to these people. Eventually, those close to you will see how great homeschooling is. If they really need an answer, just tell them you are taking it one year at a time; and right now she is not even required to attend school (our compulsory age is 7--you can check your state  for yours).

The prom is far in the future! Anyway, I did not even go to mine. It was not a big deal to me to miss it.

LizByers922
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Who says she won't go to prom? My DH was homeschooled and he went to a couple proms and lots of other dances at public schools. Just because kids are homeschooled doesn't mean they won't have friends in regular school and have a lot of the social opportunities that those kids have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

My family says stuff like this.  I have learned to ignore it.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to justify it...make excuses. Now I smile and say that we made the best choice for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

i didnt(not to my face anyway) but lots of moms on here did and do!

what is the christian program shes doing?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I drop the dictionary definition of socialize "to place under government or group ownershp or control" and ask, "Is this what you mean?" 

Then say, well, I prefer this type of socialization.... and start to list off ALL the things my kids do  and their head starts to spin... LOL

kajira
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Well.... I did when my son was that age. then he went to public school and it was horrible for him. He's also autistic and didn't get diagnosed until 8. Now he's homeschooled, and I shut people up by saying his doctor supports it as the right fit for him and mentionhow much better he's doing, and that combo tends to shut people up.

My mother in law was my biggest "he needs to be in school" - She also had the hardest time accepting he was autistic and supporting us. It really upset her when we got the diagnoses, and that he was autistic. She had a really hard time accepting the fact that we were homeschooling.

However, I just kept doing what was working and the only things I say to her is "wow, he's so happy" and "wow, he finally has friends because of X" and "wow, he really likes this" and I get him to talk about the stuff that makes him happy that we do.... the way we do school, playing with his sister, how he has friends who come over, how he likes the library group we go to once a week....

It helped the naysaying by just ignoring it and talking about how awesome everything was working out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)