Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My daughter is 5 yrs. old and I really don't want to put her in our public schools so I decided to homeschool her through a christian program. Already I am hearing the criticism, things like she won't get any social skills, she will never have prom, and so many more. I don't know what to say back or how to take it. Does anyonelse go through this??

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Replies (11-19):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I used to get that my kids would never be as smart as any in the public school because I wasn't all that smart.  I was just going to ruin my kids.  Now that my kids are older and people have seen my kids' intelligence over and above their own and or their own kids, they started slowing down on the mouthing off and saying such nasty comments to me, and or behind my back.  I also tell people that if they want see what we do in a day for school, just stop by and have a look see for themselves. And that's only after I give them a run down of everything we do.  They usually back off 'cause what we do and what the ps does is worlds apart. We do more and we do it better. Not just my opinion but fact.  My children are better educated than those in a public school.  And yes, I take pride in that. I graduated from ps and my kids are better educated now than when I graduate. No joke.

I apologize for sounding arrogant. That isn't my intention. :(  I'm just very proud of my kids. :)  

undefined

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Quoting lucsch:

I could give you all kinds of responses, but really just ignore them. You will have opposition, but you aren't answerable to these people. Eventually, those close to you will see how great homeschooling is. If they really need an answer, just tell them you are taking it one year at a time; and right now she is not even required to attend school (our compulsory age is 7--you can check your state  for yours).

The prom is far in the future! Anyway, I did not even go to mine. It was not a big deal to me to miss it.

I agree! Honestly, there is no reason to feel intimidated or pressured to respond. I avoided answering until I was comfortable in my responses.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

chic2chic
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I am sort of going through the same sort of thing.  My girls are 10 and 5 and we've homeschool exclusively.  I live in a rather rural area and don't have neighbors with young children so I feel as though my children are so isolated.   They've taken ballet classes and I have tried to get them involved in other activities.  However, it's difficult for them to make friends since we don't have a set schedule and they aren't seeing the same children day in day out....  I feel bad and don't really know what's the best next step.  On the other hand, I definitely don't want to enroll them in public or private school, the negatives  there outweighs the "benefits" in my opinion. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting chic2chic:

I am sort of going through the same sort of thing.  My girls are 10 and 5 and we've homeschool exclusively.  I live in a rather rural area and don't have neighbors with young children so I feel as though my children are so isolated.   They've taken ballet classes and I have tried to get them involved in other activities.  However, it's difficult for them to make friends since we don't have a set schedule and they aren't seeing the same children day in day out....  I feel bad and don't really know what's the best next step.  On the other hand, I definitely don't want to enroll them in public or private school, the negatives  there outweighs the "benefits" in my opinion. 

I highly recommend joining a co-op. I hate clickish-ness, which can happen with parents in a co-op, but if you can find a good one, the friendships the kids can build make up for any adult headaches! We love our co-op. my kids have 3 or 4 BFF's. We just went camping with a couple. The classes are run more like college courses, 1 day/week, for 12 weeks. I honestly thought there weren't other HS'ers in my area before I found the co-op. we have done swimming classes at the YMCA, and soccer through the park & rec, but my kids aren't huge on organized sports. I'd love to have them in more things - like karate, gymnastics, etc. but right now that is not financially feasible.

But I've always maintained my kids need to be BFF's with eachother before than can be BFF's with anyone else. So I didn't mind the fact that we didn't do a lot of activities before they were about 7 y/o.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

smilingwife
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM
DON'T try to explain yourself. They will argue with anything you say. Thank them for being concerned about your child and let them know that you are doing what is best for the needs of your individual child. Just repeat that phrase over and over and don't get caught up in a discussion.

Just be patient with their ignorance. They don't know what else to say and they don't know anything about current homeschooling practices.
katetheredhead
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this

We are just starting to homeschool this year as well...My response to people giving advice has always been; 'thank you for that unnecessary and unsolicited advice, now may I hear your credentials that make you an expert in ....insert subject' I started that when my first daughter, now 7 years old, was about 3 seconds old...lol! I say it as kind and syrupy sweet as possible and whomever will always back off...and then I tell them that our pediatrician considers my husband and me to be the experts on our kids...imagine that! Usually it doesn't even get to that part of the conversation though, people realize they overstepped when you call them on it!

duchessofdirt
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I hate it when people say "well what about socialization" my answer is uaually "who says public school is the right way to socialize your kid" My kids know how to act in public, they have many close friends. I see no problem with them being social at all! People don't have any thing else to pick apart about home school so they say something about "socialization" 

duchessofdirt
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

I used to get that my kids would never be as smart as any in the public school because I wasn't all that smart.  I was just going to ruin my kids.  Now that my kids are older and people have seen my kids' intelligence over and above their own and or their own kids, they started slowing down on the mouthing off and saying such nasty comments to me, and or behind my back.  I also tell people that if they want see what we do in a day for school, just stop by and have a look see for themselves. And that's only after I give them a run down of everything we do.  They usually back off 'cause what we do and what the ps does is worlds apart. We do more and we do it better. Not just my opinion but fact.  My children are better educated than those in a public school.  And yes, I take pride in that. I graduated from ps and my kids are better educated now than when I graduate. No joke.

I apologize for sounding arrogant. That isn't my intention. :(  I'm just very proud of my kids. :)  

Thank you! You sound just like me! My oldest is 3 grades ahead in reading and most of the other subjects. When her friends come over I ask them what they are doing in shcool. It's funny when Cathryn says "really, wow I did that 3 years ago" or she tells them what she is doing now. You have every right to be arrogant!

taylamill
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Girl I have heard it too. I have Created a co-op in my town for the other homeschool families. Dd is around other kids and it's great. Join your local co-op. you will be happy you did.

Quoting sassy290:

My daughter is 5 yrs. old and I really don't want to put her in our public schools so I decided to homeschool her through a christian program. Already I am hearing the criticism, things like she won't get any social skills, she will never have prom, and so many more. I don't know what to say back or how to take it. Does anyonelse go through this??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)