Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have been looking at houses. I found one I adore today...and can afford. It is on 40 acres. 4 are the house, stables, corral, and yard....the remaining 36 are alfalfa fields with water rights. They are currently farmed by the homeowner... I know nothing about farming so I would lease it out. A neighbor would be interested in taking it over.

Is that feasible? Profitable? Practical? Is it better to not lease and hire workers? I am so lost, lol.

I am a former city girl living in a resort town who wants to move 10 miles south and have horses, lol. This is ALL new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
oredeb
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

ohhh bramble it looks good!! was there anythng about the water during the summer time? how low the table gets?

Quoting BramblePatch:

It gets mid 90's in July and August. Its 14 miles south of where I live now. Lots of snow, but since its 1000 feet less elevation from where I live now, not as bad.

Water is well. And it is septic. Also propane. The property has water rights which means you own all the well access. The fireplace is wood. GFA is gas forced air.

The lack of trees bugs me, too. I would put in a small orchard but that would takes years of course.

Its 7 miles to town, so not bad....not as central to our county as I would like. But I could get it in the 6s...and if I got that house with less than 1 acre in my current town, I would pay 800,000 to 1.3 million.

I asked the realtor for the bills....but won't get them until after the weekend.

Quoting oredeb:

looks pretty nice, doesnt look like a farm! nice swimming pool, not very many trees though, does it get hot there? and it has a underground tank? they dont allow those over here anymore, do they where you are? they cost to get rid of, What is GFA? cost a lot to heat? no wood stoves? can you  look at the electric bill for a few months? is the water well only? how many gpms?

looks like a fun house!! nice big kitchen,  what is water rights? how much does propane cost a month, hows the roof, when last put on?

how much will she sale it for to you?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Awesome!  I would do it in a heartbeat.  We have 5.7 acres with goats, chickens and ducks (turkeys and rabbits soon to come) and an orchard and gardens!  We love it!  Yes, plant the orchard ASAP!  We are slowly getting stuff from ours.  Inbetween the trees, we planted bushes and inbetween the bushes we planted smaller plants and all of those are producing heavily already! 

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

We rent a house on an over 100 acre farm (landlord lives on it, too)  We just moved here and once settled, we are going to stake off some garden space, then look into getting some goats for milk and cheese, chickens for eggs, and a horse for Ash.   Nothing big so we won't hire workers, don't know much about them but am interested to know others here who do family farming as well.

kajira
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We have 5 acres, but we want to do milk goats. I don't think I could handle chickens and all the other stuff... milking goats and meat from lambs/goats work for me... I'd only have chickens if my husband wanted to butcher them to reduce the costs of chicken meat, eggs are just too cheap.

anyways, when it comes to fields and hay... I don't have much experience with that stuff, I definitely don't have a green thumb. My dogs and goats dug up my potatoes I planted this year and ate them. Next year I have to put more work into building a successful... and fenced... garden. LOL

Good luck though!

I will say growing your own hay makes horses worth it, if you have to *buy* hay, it gets really expensive.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My family were ranchers and farmers.  We helped my dad run the ranch for a year when he became ill.  What you are considering can be a financial desaster unless you have legal papers drawn up to protect you.

My dad sold (not leased) his ranch, and had a realtor draw up the papers where he held the mortgage.  But the papers did not list an inventory.  So the man sold off all the cattle, farm equipment...anything that was not tied down, and then defalted.  So my dad ended up with a big loss. 

blue52
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Is there a local agriculture office in that town/county that can give you any info such as previous uses of the fields, cost of upkeep, etc....???

We do here in Ky and farmers/ farms have to report certain info.....it might be something to look into. Any neighboring farmer would be a gem of info to ask questions about the place...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN