Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I already worka little, but need something a bit more stable. Does anyone have any good tips, ideas for working/homeschooling moms? I have an almost 6 yr old, 4 and 2 year old. Thanks :)

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (11-16):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I babysit now and again, and I just try to stretch money.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
No, not really. I cant compete with the big online stores so I end up selling things for barely above cost. I do it because, well, I love it. I love and believe in the products I sell, I love sharing and spreading the word about cloth/baby wearing.
One day, I plan on having a real store, so I keep adding vendors as I can. That way I will already be established with several and my name will, somewhat be out there. To keep tbe accounts I have to keep making purchases. It's a vicious cycle. Lol!

Quoting mjp2707:

You don't? Why do you do it then? It has to be a lot of stress running your own store with little kids.

Quoting Boobah:

I dont actually make any money so ill not give advice on this one. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebrachick83
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM

You might want to look into freelance writing online. I started with that back in 2009 at the really sorry websites that only pay $1 for 400 words or so. But over time, I slowly built up my resume and now I work about 25 hours a week for a few private well-paying clients. Here are a few links:

http://www.helium.com/ - I started writing for this site. Low pay but lots of excellent resources about learning how to write for the web. Great feedback and peer review options to improve your writing as well.

http://www.elance.com - Super low pay but steady work.

http://www.freelancer.com - Also super low pay with steady work.

http://www.textbroker.com - This is a very stable source of income for a lot of writers. However, your pay is determined by how well you do on a writing test, so I'd save this one until you're more comfortable writing content.

Hope this helps!

Homeschooling, writing, JW mom to three. Wife to one and only. expecting girl

Mom2Kaylie
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I'm licensed for daycare.  Sometimes I get calls from the licensed daycare list.  Some is from just talking to people I know and they spread the word.  I have put up a flyer at my local grocery store one time.  I don't like to always stay home.  I like to take my kids places.  I tell the parents that upfront.  I would drop my daughter off at art class and then continue on to the library for story time.  On our way back from the library I would pick up my daughter from art.  They were okay with that especially since the trip included something for their kid.  The librarians were so nice to me.  They would reserve me a table for the craft part of story time so all my kids could be at the same table and they might bring me a box to carry home all the kids sticky projects.  Once I had my daughter signed up for a ymca class and there was also a lil kid sport class at the same time so I asked the parents if they were interested and they were excited to sign their kid up for a daytime class as well.  Plus it also gave me a little bit of a break.  I had time to sit in the lobby with just my smallest child.    I have also paid a young woman to come on a field trip with us before.  I didn't make much money that day but that's one of the only ways to take a day off without losing your job because the parents are counting on you everyday. 

fusgeyer
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Find something you can do from home or telecommute if you can. I write for a living and I do all of it from home. I bring in a decent second income with my writing which allows me to homeschool my 7th grader and high school senior.

disneyrocks
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I started doing direct sales a couple months ago.  I thought I would be horrible at it but I love it so much.  I also get some girl time out of the deal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN