Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Help with High School in NorCal

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter returns from Wilderness therapy this Tuesday and we do not want her to go back to her public high school (for obvious reasons) and though we're still torn between Connections Academy, CAVA K12, or the local Public Independent Study option (which would allow her to take classes at our community college), my deciding factor for now is what the h#$% we're going to do to socialize her! 

I have gotten no real answers from people on this from either Connections or K12. Connections does now serve the Bay Area (of San Francisco) in our county, but it is based out of Ripon, CA so they said that activitites, events, testing and teacher's meetings would likely be all down there - they did say that more people are joining from this area so they would likely have some "field trips" this direction... 

K12 is very evasive about everything... you can't even view curriculum without signing up and I couldn't even find CAVA without calling... when I spoke to them, they said social outings would be done through CAVA, but I couldn't find anything on the website... does anyone have experience with this??

Any advice for socializing high schoolers?

Thanks!!

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Thursday at 6:40 PM
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM

community service projects?

volunteering at the library?

outside clubs(create your own for her and kids her age if there aren't any)?

youth group if you go to church?

community bands or choirs if she's into music?

sports through the city/community activities?

art classes/dance classes/sewing classes/other classes - whatever she's interested in?

helping out other teens with younger children's activities?

a job (either paid or volunteer) or internship/apprenticeship of sorts in something she's interested in?

Sorry, my little dude is only 9 and I know things are easier to find for the younger kids, but I'm sure some of those I listed could be possibility for your DD.

oredeb
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM

join gymnastics class, baseball, swimming, ymca, find a coop for homeschooers and see what they offer

kaneary
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Thanks, ladies for taking the time to answer - much appreciated. Unfortunately, there aren't any coops or other homeschooling group (that I am aware of), where teens who are likeminded could gather, in our area - which is what I was hoping to find here; that would be best as my daughter needs to move away from the public school and various "influences".

Surprisingly, there isn't much in the way of volunteering or community service projects for 14/15 yr. old girls here either. We've explored sports, which she's very good at, but she's not real interested at this age; we'd also run into old friends there too, that are not likeminded. Our youth group is one we'll be pursuing, however, its a small church and they don't do many social gatherings, especially for her age group - but, I suppose we'll need to forage new paths :-/.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)