Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Our first Co-op family gathering

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

This is our first year doing HS/Co-op. 8yo DD and I met a handful of people at Chicfila a couple of weeks ago but I was very occupied with my 2yo and baby so I didn't get to talk much.

Last night was such an uplifting experience!! To talk with like-minded adults... just awesome. I am only 28 and most of these women had at least 10 years on me, but I didn't feel out of place at all. Most of the time when I'm around my oldest's parent peer group, I feel prejudged and they don't really talk to me.

One thing I did find myself asking the kids without thinking about it was what grade they were in. The two times I asked (without thinking), both were like "ummm *blank stare* I think I'd be in X grade,"

I was worried that my DD wouldn't fit in because she is verrrry energetic and loud. She saw one of the girls we met at Chicfila and turnsout they are a great match.

Anyway, it just made me feel like I'm not alone at this. I can't wait to start co-op!!

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Yay! I love our co-op! It is a massive relief to find people who are similar. Don't worry about the grade level thing. A lot of HS'ers still do grades so it's not a completely off question.

Good Luck!
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

That is great! Finding a group that you fit in with makes it better especially if you don't have a lot of support elsewhere. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

glad you had a great time!! and your dd found a friend! when we first began my kids found that special friend and they are still friends with them, years later

yea!!!

Tesserae
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Very cool! We meet some K12'ers this month. We have a Dig It! event set up for a Friday and then we'll have a K12 family day at a mini-golf place. I can't wait for the kids to meet some new friends. I've been trying to find local home schooler groups but I guess my area is pretty dead for that.

amandae21
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Try bigtent.com and meetup.com if you haven't already. Also homeschoolclassifieds.com

Quoting Tesserae:

Very cool! We meet some K12'ers this month. We have a Dig It! event set up for a Friday and then we'll have a K12 family day at a mini-golf place. I can't wait for the kids to meet some new friends. I've been trying to find local home schooler groups but I guess my area is pretty dead for that.

amandae21
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Oh, and I also sent out a mass email to about 15 k12 families in my area (from the family directory) to see if anyone wanted to meet up for "recess" once a week at our local park. IDK if I'm going to do it though because we just got our softball schedule for September and we'll be at the park 4 days a week as it is :-/

Quoting Tesserae:

Tesserae
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Cool thanks.=D I know Meetup has nothing in my area, I tried them already but I haven't tried the others.

The one thing I did sign up for was 4H! We go Wednesday to our first meeting. The boys chose to raise & care for homing pigeons. lol, this should be interesting!!!

Quoting amandae21:

Try bigtent.com and meetup.com if you haven't already. Also homeschoolclassifieds.com

Quoting Tesserae:

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

That is good news...thanks for sharing,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

How awesome for you and your kids!  Making new friends is such a booster for ourselves. It lets us know that we are most definitely not alone in our own little worlds. :)   

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)