Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would you go about this? K12 ---> unschooling

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

I just started K12 on 8/16 for my 8 & 11 yr olds. I immediately realized my mistake by week one. My 11 yr old struggled horribly in public school (has an IEP) and here I go, dumping him right back into a public school program. So, I sent word to K12 yesterday that he is done with their program. I need him to enjoy learning and enjoy being stress-free when it comes to learning.

What would be the best transition? Now, I ask that because while I fully intend to allow him to guide us on this journey, I also intend to present some math curriculum. I feel that math & writing are extremely important and I want him to know his basics at least. He still does not know multiplication, division, fractions, etc and I know he will need those basic things for the real world.

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

GAMES! lol

Lots of them

Cooking is a great place to teach fractions. Stop buying treats, but the ingredients to make them. (You want cookies? Great, make some.) Start out with easy fractions in the recipes (1/2 or 1/4 cups). Then start making the recipe cards say things like 2/4.

Tesserae
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Oh absolutely! He LOVES cooking and I take him shopping with me every week and let him do the rounding of prices and weighing of fruit to estimate cost. (the problem with him though is that he never remembers what he "learned" at the store. Once he gets home it's like it never happened! oyvey)Then we make recipes where i teach him fractions. we just made pumpkin maple fudge! I have also bookmarked a bunch of math games. So it sounds like I am starting off well, thank you! =)

Quoting mem82:

GAMES! lol

Lots of them

Cooking is a great place to teach fractions. Stop buying treats, but the ingredients to make them. (You want cookies? Great, make some.) Start out with easy fractions in the recipes (1/2 or 1/4 cups). Then start making the recipe cards say things like 2/4.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You'll do great!

Quoting Tesserae:

Oh absolutely! He LOVES cooking and I take him shopping with me every week and let him do the rounding of prices and weighing of fruit to estimate cost. (the problem with him though is that he never remembers what he "learned" at the store. Once he gets home it's like it never happened! oyvey)Then we make recipes where i teach him fractions. we just made pumpkin maple fudge! I have also bookmarked a bunch of math games. So it sounds like I am starting off well, thank you! =)

Quoting mem82:

GAMES! lol

Lots of them

amandae21
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I am in your boat lol. I was thinking of doing unit studies, but letting my 8yo DD pick which unit studies we do. I'm not quitting k12 right now though. I may look back and wish I had, but I'm just not comfortable taking the leap when I have my 2yo and 5mo to care for as well. I'm thinking either starting in January or next fall. Playing it by ear. Loads of research to do first.

Tesserae
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm kind of cheating... Although my 11 yr old is leaving K12 I still have my 8 yr old enrolled. Since my 11 yr old is SO behind I was planning to loosely use the 8 yr old's curriculum to guide the 11 yr old. This way he will be a lot less stressed and can learn what he wants at his own pace yet I have the backing of a set sytem that I can use when needed.

It is scary, but when you see your child crying at 5pm because they are still working on math after struggling through reading a 10 page story that they just don't comprehend, it's just not worth it to keep pushing "regular school" anymore.

Quoting amandae21:

I am in your boat lol. I was thinking of doing unit studies, but letting my 8yo DD pick which unit studies we do. I'm not quitting k12 right now though. I may look back and wish I had, but I'm just not comfortable taking the leap when I have my 2yo and 5mo to care for as well. I'm thinking either starting in January or next fall. Playing it by ear. Loads of research to do first.

amandae21
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

So true

Quoting Tesserae:

I'm kind of cheating... Although my 11 yr old is leaving K12 I still have my 8 yr old enrolled. Since my 11 yr old is SO behind I was planning to loosely use the 8 yr old's curriculum to guide the 11 yr old. This way he will be a lot less stressed and can learn what he wants at his own pace yet I have the backing of a set sytem that I can use when needed.

It is scary, but when you see your child crying at 5pm because they are still working on math after struggling through reading a 10 page story that they just don't comprehend, it's just not worth it to keep pushing "regular school" anymore.

Quoting amandae21:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM
He is 11. My recommendation is to get him involved. Have him choose a project that he is interested in. Then he can start unschooling by delving into a project he is interested in. So that it in no way resembles 'school'.
Tesserae
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM

What type of project? He's into lava & quicksand right now so we went to the library for books and also looked up how to make quicksand. Do we do a project based off of that? Also, I don't really know if he is learning when I let him surf the web alone looking at things. He watches videos and such but doesn't read any content. This worries me too.

Quoting KickButtMama:

He is 11. My recommendation is to get him involved. Have him choose a project that he is interested in. Then he can start unschooling by delving into a project he is interested in. So that it in no way resembles 'school'.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Quoting Tesserae:

Well, take the quicksand, for instance. I might have him make a map of where areas of quicksand are on a globe. Do a study on the conditions (meterologicaly) most optimal for the formation of quicksand. Make a sample of quicksand. Do a lapbook on quicksand, etc.

We do child-led learning. Basically my kids pick topics. Like volcanos. Then I find tons of resources. They watch videos, read books, surf the web, etc. and they put together a presentation for dad or family on what they have learned. That's why we love lapbooks.
Tesserae
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

That sounds great, thank you!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting Tesserae:

Well, take the quicksand, for instance. I might have him make a map of where areas of quicksand are on a globe. Do a study on the conditions (meterologicaly) most optimal for the formation of quicksand. Make a sample of quicksand. Do a lapbook on quicksand, etc.

We do child-led learning. Basically my kids pick topics. Like volcanos. Then I find tons of resources. They watch videos, read books, surf the web, etc. and they put together a presentation for dad or family on what they have learned. That's why we love lapbooks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)