Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need advice

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
Im struggling to get the house clean and maintain plus homeschool.

Anyone amazing with schedules?

I have four girls (6,4,3,6 mths)
I homeschool the 6 yr old and almost 5 year old about 6 hours a day at least broken up on to 5 classes1 of which is done on their own. The baby eats every three hours starting at 7 am for 30 min. I get up at 5 am and go to sleep at 10.

I have a cage to clean three times a week and a two story four bedroom 3 bath house to clean plus yard work.

Any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smilingwife
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I just bought a book called Managers of their Homes. It has great advice for organizing your day. It has you break your day into 1/2 hour blocks and do the same for the kids. You cut out the little blocks and rearange them on a chart. She recommends assigning older kids to play with younger kids so you can focus on an individual child. She also show you how to work your chores into your schedule and assign chores to kids.
I'm not great a scheduling either. I have found that I will find something that works for a while then we need to adapt as our lives change.
I hope this helps a little.
armybratmom612
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I will try anything at this point. Things are so crazy lately with the baby getting more mobile and school starting again that I am just now getting the youngest to bed right now at 1030. Thanks so much I am going to check this book and the chart idea tomorrow!

Quoting smilingwife:

I just bought a book called Managers of their Homes. It has great advice for organizing your day. It has you break your day into 1/2 hour blocks and do the same for the kids. You cut out the little blocks and rearange them on a chart. She recommends assigning older kids to play with younger kids so you can focus on an individual child. She also show you how to work your chores into your schedule and assign chores to kids.

I'm not great a scheduling either. I have found that I will find something that works for a while then we need to adapt as our lives change.

I hope this helps a little.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I would get some help from the kids and hubby. He works but I'm sure could find time to clean the cage once a week for you and maybe some of the yard work.

At six and five, the older girls can help load the dish washer, fold towels, wipe sinks, etc.

Also, check out flylady.com. A lot of people I know swear by it.

BramblePatch
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM
My key to a great schedule is to NEVER SCHEDULE. Seriously.

I set weekly homeschool goals. How and when we get them done is irrelevant. Same with housekeeping. I also plan a weeks worth of meals, but what day I make them is left until that day. The only things set in stone are DDs equine therapy, my physical therapy, and the kids extracurriculars.

I find in doing this, I actually accomplish my goals about 90% of the time...with little stress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I sit down w/ pen, pencil, & lined paper; I write in pen every half hour down the left margin; I write in pen the things that basicly are or kind of have to happen @ the appropriate times (like meals, feeding the baby, etc); then I use the pencil to shuffle around the other stuff such that it gets done on time.
Anything I don't do daily, I write a list or make a weekly shedule. For the weekly schedule, I write the days of the week across the top line and then use the pen and pencil as before. I also schedule time in my daily schedule for the things done on a weekly basis.

PS: If u wanted me to, I could write ur schedule for u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anruptine2038
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM
bump

armybratmom612
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM
That sound like a great idea! Honestly if you think you are up to it and would like to give it a shot I would be willing.

Quoting TeaHound:

I sit down w/ pen, pencil, & lined paper; I write in pen every half hour down the left margin; I write in pen the things that basicly are or kind of have to happen @ the appropriate times (like meals, feeding the baby, etc); then I use the pencil to shuffle around the other stuff such that it gets done on time.
Anything I don't do daily, I write a list or make a weekly shedule. For the weekly schedule, I write the days of the week across the top line and then use the pen and pencil as before. I also schedule time in my daily schedule for the things done on a weekly basis.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll send u what I come w/ in a personal message.

Quoting armybratmom612:

That sound like a great idea! Honestly if you think you are up to it and would like to give it a shot I would be willing.

Quoting TeaHound:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I really have no set schedules for most everything. The only thing I make sure we do almost on time every time is when we start school. We start at 10 am and school goes until 3 or 4 pm. Chores  are supposed to be done before school starts but if chores don't get done before hand, they most certainly get done after school. Escpecially if my older kids want to go out and socialize with their friends. :)  I have my older kids, (15, 13, 11) help out with my younger 3(9,6,3) when I need to focus on either of them or my list of chores that needs to get done. They even help give my 3 yr old her naps every day. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but it helps.  :) 

undefined

oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

ive not read anyones reply so probably be repeats!

what kind of curr are you using to take 6 hours? are the girls helping? do they have there list of chores?

do you start school at the same time everyday? that sure helped me, the kids and to be ready for school at 9 every day, before that they had to clean their rooms, eat breakfast and do whatever chores they could, then finish their chores after we were done with school at 12 or 1. and id be doing my chores also,

one thing i notice for me is if the kitchen is cleaned up from the night before everything seems to go smoother the next day, and just before bedtime i do a 5 min clean up of the living room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)