Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Holiday HS

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this
Am I the only one who thinks days like Labor Day are just better days for HS? Lol. Everyone has a vacation day, but not in my house. National holidays happen because of some event in history. So we use it as an opportunity to study the events surrounding the creation of the holiday...then have the cookout..lol... Anyone else?

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

We always have a discussion over what the day is & why it is celebrated, along with a look at the history behind it!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Quoting usmom3:

We always have a discussion over what the day is & why it is celebrated, along with a look at the history behind it!

I'm glad my poor kids aren't alone! Everyone always asks them how they are enjoying vacation, or their day off from school, and they get all confused! Vacation is something where we go away as a family, otherwise we don't really have scheduled days off...hehehe
amandae21
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

My house is a disaster and my DH is off Monday - we're cleaning! We will discuss the history behind the holiday, though... at the pool that evening.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Our vacations are always over night field trips or home improvement projects. My kids always look at people funny when asked questions like that because we think of learning like breathing it just happens even when we aren't trying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skeletor1017
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I plan on schooling on those days and teaching the kids what the holiday means and that its not just a day to laze around.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM
My dd wants to homeschool tomorrow. I was surprised. I plan on making the day's work focused on workers. I am thinking about having my dd make a boxed firetruck and bringing it to the fire department down the street from me. And focus on money for math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We homeschool on holidays like President's Day and Labor Day unless we are going to an event. 8)

wowguildmomma
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Most holidays are holidays here because we always go to the huge family bbq for hay rides and playing with the cousins. The kids love looking for wildlife on the hay rides making them a educational expierence in themselves.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL The only time we have off is when one of us is too sick to sit at the desk and do some schoolwork.  Or when we need to go and get something done and it can't be avoided any other way.  That is why we take a summer break longer than most. Because we don't take snow days or vacation days.  To us, its just another day where we take advantage of beefing up our education and our learning experience. :)  

undefined

downsouthjunkin
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Same here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN