Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Am I the only one who thinks days like Labor Day are just better days for HS? Lol. Everyone has a vacation day, but not in my house. National holidays happen because of some event in history. So we use it as an opportunity to study the events surrounding the creation of the holiday...then have the cookout..lol... Anyone else?

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Replies (11-19):
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Sep. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We're just getting lights after being without them for 4 days, so we will spend tomorrow catching up on laundry for 5 kids and two adults and cleaning out the refrigerator and mopping and a lot of cleaning thanks to Hurricane Isaac,now it's time to get back to normal..I will talk to them about Labor day and make sure they understand what it means, and that's with every holiday, we will learn about them and have some activities to do :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM

we never stop because of a holiday, we even schooled right on through xmas and easter!

oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM

sounds like you all are laboring! hands on!

Quoting SuperMommy408:

We're just getting lights after being without them for 4 days, so we will spend tomorrow catching up on laundry for 5 kids and two adults and cleaning out the refrigerator and mopping and a lot of cleaning thanks to Hurricane Isaac,now it's time to get back to normal..I will talk to them about Labor day and make sure they understand what it means, and that's with every holiday, we will learn about them and have some activities to do :)

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Well, decided to give my kiddo a break tomorrow, one because our tickets for the local amusement park expire after tomorrow, so going to take him there.

I did tell him a little bit about what Labor Day means, but he's a bit young to grasp the concept.

Hsmom1966
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Absolutely: we take the time to learn about all the holidays or time off as other schools live it.  We have been home schooling for a couple of years now and my son has little knowledge or concern about the public school calender.  :)

When my friends or family ask about our plans for holidays or specific time off, I usually tell them we take time off as needed, but prefer to continue our education year round....we like to make the most of our year!  lol. 

And yes, the grill is a must have for today!!  Enjoy :)

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:51 AM

We take off for holidays when my husband takes off.  I also scheduled a week off for my daughter's birthday, but we are planning on going on field trips for at least two or three of those days.  I did the same for the boys' birthday.

I didn't plan on taking taking off today, but DH decided to take off (self-employed) so we are going to spend time together.  I also planned 3 days off for Thanksigiving.  I do alot of cooking for Thanksgiving and we have one of our family get-togethers at our house.  I also scheduled time off for Christmas.

I did not schedule days off for Veterans day or anything like that.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Quoting SuperMommy408:

OMG! I'm so glad you guys are ok and are finally getting your lights back on. We had a freak snowstorm last fall and we lost power for like 5 days, so I remember how that was. Ugh! But, it's a perfect opportunity to explain 'slave labor' to the kids..heheh.thats what my kids complained about after we spent so long bringing the house back online after being in the dark. Lol.. Good luck!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Thanks!! hehe yes the kids have been complaining about doing to much cleaning /slave labor lol, but anyway our AC unit outside isn't working at all now and it's so hot, I have sweat rolling off of me talking about miserable,our landlord said it needs some part and he ordered it,I need it to come ASAP,so now we have lights, but no AC..

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting SuperMommy408:

OMG! I'm so glad you guys are ok and are finally getting your lights back on. We had a freak snowstorm last fall and we lost power for like 5 days, so I remember how that was. Ugh! But, it's a perfect opportunity to explain 'slave labor' to the kids..heheh.thats what my kids complained about after we spent so long bringing the house back online after being in the dark. Lol.. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Yes we are :)

Quoting oredeb:

sounds like you all are laboring! hands on!

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN