Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ever Wonder What an Unschooler Might do as a Grownup?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM
BJ
  • 11 Replies

This woman is a grown unschooler.

Here is the link in case you can't get the video to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5RB5F5zEXxE

by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The picture is black. Is that just me or is it like this for anyone else?  

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

It worked for me but it is black for the first 5 seconds of the clip.

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I can't even click on it. :(

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

undefined

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

OK I redid the video & added the link just in case.

Quoting kirbymom:

I can't even click on it. :(

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM

neat!! i seen the video or whatever its called! i'd love to throw pots!

lightningshadow
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I always wonder what these people are going to do in college. They can't just learn to their interests anymore. They have to do the work and take stupid classes (like math and English Comp) even if they don't want to in order to get their degree.
SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

The "stupid" classes are necessary. I'm a SAHM and a writer and I've had to use basic algebra and geometry numerous times throughout my life. And if you look around at all the people who are incapable of expressing themselves in basic conversation or can't write a simple email, I'd hesitate to dismiss an English Comp class as stupid.

Not everyone has to go to college to pursue their dreams, either. Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? No degrees. I think unschoolers have the advantage of thinking ouside the box and the bright, motivated ones can create unique careers that may work best with an apprenticeship, rather than going through academic channels. And even if they do decide to go to college, they'll take the classes they may not enjoy with a good understanding that everyone has to do the grunt work to get to the end result.

Quoting lightningshadow:

I always wonder what these people are going to do in college. They can't just learn to their interests anymore. They have to do the work and take stupid classes (like math and English Comp) even if they don't want to in order to get their degree.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I agree, Susan. I think one of the most misunderstood things about unschooling is that people think it means NON-SCHOOLING. But that isn't the case. The purpose of child led learning is to help kids learn to explore and love learning, and understand exactly how their unique minds process information. This includes the "stupid" subjects. I fact, most kids who do unschooling never see any subject as "stupid". By the time college rolls around, they have a clear understanding of how to effectively study, so they can take the base classes and ace them.

I grew up in forced classes, slaving over homework, etc. and believed I wasn't smart enough. It wasn't until I took learning out of the classroom, away from the teachers and lectures, that I blossomed. So we do child-led learning so that my kids can learn in whatever manner works for their mind, not worrying about checklists or squishing square pegs into round holes.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM

As to the video - that was really cool!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Susan, I think this is really astute.  Sometimes, people don't even realize they are using some of these skills in their everyday life until it is pointed out to them. :)   

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

The "stupid" classes are necessary. I'm a SAHM and a writer and I've had to use basic algebra and geometry numerous times throughout my life. And if you look around at all the people who are incapable of expressing themselves in basic conversation or can't write a simple email, I'd hesitate to dismiss an English Comp class as stupid.

Not everyone has to go to college to pursue their dreams, either. Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? No degrees. I think unschoolers have the advantage of thinking ouside the box and the bright, motivated ones can create unique careers that may work best with an apprenticeship, rather than going through academic channels. And even if they do decide to go to college, they'll take the classes they may not enjoy with a good understanding that everyone has to do the grunt work to get to the end result.

Quoting lightningshadow:

@ lightningshadow ~  Nothing we learn is "stupid". Just because we haven't found a specific use for it doesn't mean it doesn't have value or isn't needed. It will show up even when we do not see it. Someone else will and hopefully point it out to us, nicely.  :) 

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)