Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you make homeschooling fun?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

How do you make it enjoyable for the kids and yourself?

how do you make it fun!

by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
WantedNameTaken
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Two things that I've done to make this year more fun are 1) allowing DS to watch educational videos on the big screen TV instead of his computer (when he's in a cooperative mood) and 2) using videos to accompany literature units for DD, when possible.

Allowing DS to watch a DVD about atoms on the big screen seems less like schoolwork to him - even the interactive tests at the end seem more like a game than a "test".  Having DD watch movies for certain novels helps her to understand and retain the information better and makes reading less of a chore.  She loves to read, but only the things that she picks.  Classic novels aren't her thing, so when I can find a movie to go with a book, we cuddle up on the couch, eat popcorn, watch the movie, and pause it along the way to discuss it.  We save these times for after school hours, so that she's more relaxed and more open to discussing the movie/literature.  Although, she does sigh heavily, because she knows that I'm attempting to fool her into learning.  LOL!

ETA: I totally forgot about making it fun for me.  For now, if there aren't any tears, it's about as fun as I can expect.  I'll work on me later. :)

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Our curriculum is ALL about enjoying learning. No effort to create fun is required.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)