Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm trying to help Cole (2nd grade) work more independently

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

He has a little trouble focusing without me standing over his shoulder. I hope that in the next few weeks, we'll transition a little farther into him doing a worksheet, or even half of one, by himself.

Do you have this same problem?

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I set a timer and expect dd to be done with her homework within that time. If its a lot we take breaks at 15 minute intervals. If she needs help I help her. Most of the time she does homework at the kitchen table while I cook so I can see she isn't messing around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I might bring out the timer, soon. It's not so much that he goofs off, so much as if I walk away, he'll immediately get confused or ask my opinion, over and over.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I set a timer and expect dd to be done with her homework within that time. If its a lot we take breaks at 15 minute intervals. If she needs help I help her. Most of the time she does homework at the kitchen table while I cook so I can see she isn't messing around.

duchessofdirt
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM

We do all the work in our class room and I sit right there with them. I have noticed that when we first started HSing that my oldest

thought I was going to help her with everything (meaning give her the answers) well that wasn't the case so she started acting like she just could't do some of the work. I found that if I sat right there and did my work then she'd do hers but if I did other work in the same room she couldn't focus on her work. I also have a timer that helps. But we don't bring any work out of the class. Once the day is done the work is done. No home work, no bringing anything out of the class. I want a seperation for the work.

That said I think that in time your son will learn to do stuff by hiimself. He's still getting the hang of it, set short goals like just him doing one section then you both work on the next section. That has worked for me.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Thank you. 8) I think I will try the doing the short sections by himself. I don't give him the answers, it's more like he needs to hear the words read aloud in my voice. lol

Quoting duchessofdirt:

We do all the work in our class room and I sit right there with them. I have noticed that when we first started HSing that my oldest

thought I was going to help her with everything (meaning give her the answers) well that wasn't the case so she started acting like she just could't do some of the work. I found that if I sat right there and did my work then she'd do hers but if I did other work in the same room she couldn't focus on her work. I also have a timer that helps. But we don't bring any work out of the class. Once the day is done the work is done. No home work, no bringing anything out of the class. I want a seperation for the work.

That said I think that in time your son will learn to do stuff by hiimself. He's still getting the hang of it, set short goals like just him doing one section then you both work on the next section. That has worked for me.

norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Dd does that too. I usually just ask her to read the instructions to me or read the sentence. Usually she just tries to skip reading things and then gets confused because she has no idea what she's supposed to be doing. Gotta read kiddo!

Quoting mem82:

I might bring out the timer, soon. It's not so much that he goofs off, so much as if I walk away, he'll immediately get confused or ask my opinion, over and over.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM

no, not any more, it was just a matter of time, and patience on my part!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I.stopped that with DD who has add, on top being an energetic boy, by using a sticker chart. If he could do X number of problems on his own, he got a sticker. If he earned so many in a day he got 30 extra minutes of computer/video game time or some other "free" reward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN