Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question for Experienced Homeschooling Mothers

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

My Son is being homeschooled for the first year this year. 

And my biggest struggle is how to make him not drift off and daydream. Anyone know a way to deal with this issue?

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
amandae21
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I'm not experienced - this is our first year - but we've had trouble with my DD drifting off forever. Best thing you can do is keep things interesting. Turn learning experiences into a game. Do class outside the classroom setting - on the back porch etc.. My DD really enjoys using the breakfast nook window as a dry erase board to write spelling on instead of a notebook.

Hsmom1966
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 5:07 AM

I think we all drift just a little evry now and then.  When my son does drift for a few seconds, we let him.  The beauty of being able to home educate is that you have the time to practice what works for your child.  I am no expert, but I am a mom who is always trying to keep his education fun and interesting. 

Trying to maintain a healthy balance between allowing him to be self reliant and being there to help keep him on track as needed.  Most the time I think we do just fine with the juggling...lol.  When he drifts, I honestly give him a few seconds to just look away; more often than not his focus goes right back to his task at hand.  I also know this from working with my son, "there is a time and place for everything we do." 

For example: math is a subject better taught in the mid morning.  Writing for journal entries, book reports, or for keeping notes about a science experiment is good any time of day, but he doesn't necessarily like to write his own short/long stories.  He would much rather tell you a new story :)  Reading comprehension worksheets are good just about any time of day.  Art is always going to be a passion for him.

When we struggle with something or if he drifts because he is not "getting it", we remind ourselves to find a different way to approach or present a subject and find what will make it "click" for our son while keeping  his attention.                

oredeb
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

keep lessons short

i'd always say out loud to the kids 'are you reading' or drop a book on the floor! the loud noise got the drifter back to work

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)