Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

moms teaching K to their kids....what are you doing this week? 9/3

Posted by   + Show Post

What's on your agenda this week?

Anything major you are focussing on, special projects?

Pictures welcomed!!

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

oh yea that one always comes up! we always did the bed method, and the bat and ball method

some other ideas:

Make a fist - thumbs up - like in the "bed" example, but separate your fists. Then think of two b/d words that go together to form a two-word phrase. EX: bad dog; big daddy; etc.

If the fists are turned upside down, you will form p/q. A phrase could also be taught to remind students how those are made.
EX: pretty quick

I also use "The ABCD trick" with my LD's. Make the "OK" sign (index finger and thumb together) with both hands. Your hands now form the b and d in alphabetical order. I teach my kids to say "a-b-c-d!" and show them how the b comes first, left-to-right, on their hands. it works and it's always right there with them

Helping them associate the “b” with something like ball, and “d” with dinosaur is a good idea. Association is always a good way to help us remember. The “b” carries his ball in front, and the “d” carries his dinosaur on his back–association games like this are very helpful.

Another great b & d game is to get several pictures of b words; bear, bug, ball, etc. and several pictures of d words; dog, duck, dinosaur. Place each picture on the end of a Popsicle stick. Take two paper cups and write a “b” on one and a “d” on the other. The object of the game is to place the correct picture in the correct cup. To make it a “self-check” game, write the correct letter on the back of the picture/Popsicle stick so that after they have taken their best guess, they can double check and see if they got it right.

You can make a poster or card to that says “b sees d” (I like to put little smiley faces with eyes in each of the letters’ circles so that b is looking at the d. Again, just a way of reinforcing each letters’ point of reference.

Quoting aneela:

im gonna have to re-do Bs and Ds as he gets them mixed up sometimes....was hoping he had it down but maybe a few more months at it... :)

cookies are soooooooo fun

Quoting oredeb:

D-doing some fun art stuff, making cookies, starfall, learning the letter d sound, me reading

T- art stuff, cookies, playing, me reading, scribbling on large paper, 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

yes we do the bee being hit by a stick...and the dog chasing the stick...he gets it...but sometimes...forgets it LOL

Quoting oredeb:

oh yea that one always comes up! we always did the bed method, and the bat and ball method

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

thanks Debbie...I will def add a few more to what we do...see if it helps cement it over the next couple months :)

Quoting oredeb:

some other ideas:

Make a fist - thumbs up - like in the "bed" example, but separate your fists. Then think of two b/d words that go together to form a two-word phrase. EX: bad dog; big daddy; etc.

If the fists are turned upside down, you will form p/q. A phrase could also be taught to remind students how those are made.
EX: pretty quick

I also use "The ABCD trick" with my LD's. Make the "OK" sign (index finger and thumb together) with both hands. Your hands now form the b and d in alphabetical order. I teach my kids to say "a-b-c-d!" and show them how the b comes first, left-to-right, on their hands. it works and it's always right there with them

Helping them associate the “b” with something like ball, and “d” with dinosaur is a good idea. Association is always a good way to help us remember. The “b” carries his ball in front, and the “d” carries his dinosaur on his back–association games like this are very helpful.

Another great b & d game is to get several pictures of b words; bear, bug, ball, etc. and several pictures of d words; dog, duck, dinosaur. Place each picture on the end of a Popsicle stick. Take two paper cups and write a “b” on one and a “d” on the other. The object of the game is to place the correct picture in the correct cup. To make it a “self-check” game, write the correct letter on the back of the picture/Popsicle stick so that after they have taken their best guess, they can double check and see if they got it right.

You can make a poster or card to that says “b sees d” (I like to put little smiley faces with eyes in each of the letters’ circles so that b is looking at the d. Again, just a way of reinforcing each letters’ point of reference.

Quoting aneela:

im gonna have to re-do Bs and Ds as he gets them mixed up sometimes....was hoping he had it down but maybe a few more months at it... :)

cookies are soooooooo fun

Quoting oredeb:

D-doing some fun art stuff, making cookies, starfall, learning the letter d sound, me reading

T- art stuff, cookies, playing, me reading, scribbling on large paper, 

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

We have pets and I couldn't take that much time off of work.  I am so upset that he got to spend almost 2 weeks with my BFF (he has become great friends with her hubby so they got to do "boy" stuff)  and her family and I had to miss it all.  At last check they are about 1 1/2 hours from home.  It is an 8 hour drive straight through and with 2 kids you have to stop for potty breaks A LOT!!!  I am just glad that they ALL had a great time!!!

Quoting aneela:

aww..how come u didnt go too?

Quoting coala:

We start K in January.  She is learning to write in cursive and some basic addidition and subtraction right now, as well as lots of reading.  They are actually on their way home from vacation.  They have been with Daddy visiting friends in SC for the last 13 days.  I can't wait for them to get home.  I have missed them terribly.

angelamarie434
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM

We are doing a little prek mixed with k stuff. We are in lesson 2 of the reading lesson (I am so happy so far with this book she is doing awsome) for science we are talking about seeds and plant we have planted tons of flowers and stuff we also made a see through planter to watch our seeds grow. For math we are doing same and diff (classification and sorting) and working on our position words (top middle left right) geography we are talking about earth being a planet and where we live. For writting we are working on improving writting our name plus we are adding letters and words from the reading lesson and since I do daycare as well we are also talking about our 5 senses and doing art for that. Also, we are reading a fable or story each day from the book What your Kindergartner should know.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I have a K in addition to a 1st and 4th so we do a lot 'together,' not strictly K. We are reading The Sign of the Beaver, reading about Mayans, and learning about caves because tomorrow night we are leaving for a camping trip to Mammoth Cave national park. 

Every week she has handwriting (A Reason for Handwriting, A), Singapore math (A, which is way too easy for her but she has fun so I'm going with it), and we do a daily lesson from Teach Your Child to Read and an easy reader or a sight words file folder game.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

oh that is cool...so the younger ones get more than they bargain for ha ha...

Quoting hipmomto3:

I have a K in addition to a 1st and 4th so we do a lot 'together,' not strictly K. We are reading The Sign of the Beaver, reading about Mayans, and learning about caves because tomorrow night we are leaving for a camping trip to Mammoth Cave national park. 

Every week she has handwriting (A Reason for Handwriting, A), Singapore math (A, which is way too easy for her but she has fun so I'm going with it), and we do a daily lesson from Teach Your Child to Read and an easy reader or a sight words file folder game.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

oh nice...this is cool...

Quoting angelamarie434:

for science we are talking about seeds and plant we have planted tons of flowers and stuff we also made a see through planter to watch our seeds grow.

krystlzd3
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

We did this last night. I let all 3 kids do one....they are William-5, Noah-3, and Riley-2. 

(In case anyone is wondering....I put small amounts of rice into sandwich baggies, added a few drops of food coloring into each bag, shook it up, and dyed rice. lol A little bit of school glue (not stick) and construction paper and we got art, lol)

MessedUpMama
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Right now we are reviewing the letters of the alphabet. She is practicing writing them and her name, plus recognizing them whenever they happen to show up. She's looking at patterns and ways to sort things. She is working on cutting shapes with her scissors. We are practicing rhyming words and word groups. The flag and what it means has come up, as well as the Pledge of Allegiance. We are learning about the weather, seasons and how we dress differently for each of them. She listens in when DS is doing his math, so she's being exposed to place value, addition, subtraction and multiplication. She listened while DS and I talked about writing a story and how you can describe a character in many different ways. Later this month we are going to be looking at apples, how they grow from a seed into a tree that produces apples. I want to read about Johnny Appleseed and who he really was. Maybe even learn the song from the Disney (I think) movie that featured him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN