Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello to all of our new members! How long have you been homeschooling?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know we have the 'official' sticky thread at the top, but when I see we got a lot of new members, I like to make a post, too. 8)

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been homeschooling since June. 

When I decided to take my son out of public school because he was failing both math, science and english. And the math teacher had the audacity to tell me "I calculated the numeric grade your son would need to pass the year and just gave it to him for his final grade"

I was so peeved off I could have spit nails.

So now he is a homeschooler! 

kimbral3
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I started homeschooling at the beginning of this year. I wished I would have done it when they first started school. We love it!!!

pregnant belly

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Wow! That's crazy. How old is your son?

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

I have been homeschooling since June. 

When I decided to take my son out of public school because he was failing both math, science and english. And the math teacher had the audacity to tell me "I calculated the numeric grade your son would need to pass the year and just gave it to him for his final grade"

I was so peeved off I could have spit nails.

So now he is a homeschooler! 

HippieMomma86
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

This is technically my first year. We're starting Kindergarten tomorrow. I say technically because I've been teaching my kids since they were little. They are 5 and can write, count to over 100, read beginner books and do addition and subtraction. I felt they would be too advanced for typical Kindergarten and get bored and just become one of those "acting out" kids because they weren't being challenged.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Congrats on making the leap to homeschooling! I felt the same way after pulling my oldest from school after 1st grade. Was there any particular reason you decided to keep the kids home?

Congrats on the pregnancy, also! 8)

Quoting kimbral3:

I started homeschooling at the beginning of this year. I wished I would have done it when they first started school. We love it!!!

pregnant belly

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I like to remind new homeschoolers that everyone homeschools their kids from birth, they just call it parenting. LOL 8)

My daughter was very advanced when it came to academics. My son is also advanced but not in the easily categorized way. ;) I've jumped through several hoops with both of them. I can't wait to see what my younger two have in store for me. HA!

Quoting HippieMomma86:

This is technically my first year. We're starting Kindergarten tomorrow. I say technically because I've been teaching my kids since they were little. They are 5 and can write, count to over 100, read beginner books and do addition and subtraction. I felt they would be too advanced for typical Kindergarten and get bored and just become one of those "acting out" kids because they weren't being challenged.

Mommy2Emmau
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
We will start homeschooling next month. Getting a late start die to husband changing jobs and going a month without income since they hold the first check! LoL But my 4 year old will be doing the ABeka K4 DVD program. She is so excited! Both my neices use ABeka (Kindergarten & 4th grade) and she sees them doing it and can't wait to start! : D
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

How exciting! So you come from a family of homeschoolers? That's great!

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

We will start homeschooling next month. Getting a late start die to husband changing jobs and going a month without income since they hold the first check! LoL But my 4 year old will be doing the ABeka K4 DVD program. She is so excited! Both my neices use ABeka (Kindergarten & 4th grade) and she sees them doing it and can't wait to start! : D

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

This will be my 2nd year.  I have a 1st grader & 10th grader.  And today just happens to be one of those days when I'm ready to pull my hair out & send both kids back to public school.  They are both acting like they just crawled out of a cave and have never seen the written word.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We use this program as well.  My DD has to be 4 1/2 to start the K5 (Kindergarten).  She is driving me crazy asking when she is going to start.  Her older sister is starting first grade next week.  They are both so excited.  We used the K4 program but w/o DVD's.  My DD is super ready to start and finished all the workbooks in 2 mos.

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN