Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello to all of our new members! How long have you been homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know we have the 'official' sticky thread at the top, but when I see we got a lot of new members, I like to make a post, too. 8)

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
RedHeadedLizzy
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

This time since all last year.  We tried PS in Kindergarten and part of 1st grade, and the last half of 2nd grade (different PS) and HS in between.  We're staying with HS.

JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Preschool prices here are  just ridiculous so I started homeschooling when my son turned 4 last November.  I will be finishing off my first year in November.   I did enroll him a gym class once a week for September - December for socialization and to help build confidence in playing sports.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Well, what do you two do every day? Do you take him with you when you run errands or go to the grocery store?  Are you in a place where you can make playdates at the park or at your house? When children are at this age, they just need to have their minds diverted and busy with something else. So when he is feeling down, and doesn't find schoolwork as fun or exciting because he sees his friends going off to school, you and he can maybe take a nature walk around you house and find some leaves that he can study and do some leaf impressions. Or maybe he can find some stones and find out the differences in stones and find out how many different types of stones there are.  Once you start doing something like this, you then can show him that while he is sad to see his friends going off to school, he gets to stay home and be outside doing his schoolwork. His friends don't get to do that. He doesn't realize that staying home can be so much fun. Do you have a camera? Blocks?  if you have both these things, then for an assignment, you can have him build a little boy tower his size and then take a picture of it before it comes tumbling down.  Doing something like this can be for hand eye co ordination and it is also a planning and thinking process.  Just because you have to do schoolwork, doesn't mean it can't be awesome fun too.  :)   

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

I like the homeschooling in alot of ways because it is improving my spelling and grammer and I am gaining new education. But my son is not so happy with it.. He sees the bus pulling away and says my friends are there.. 

Which is why I am trying to find a homeschool support group or LEAH co-op. Problem is I didn't realize how EXPENSIVE "MEMBERSHIP" dues would be. 100 A YEAR. And they only meet every 2 weeks.. Just feels weird!

My son's whole curriculum for a year has cost only 250.00 and they want effectively 1/3 of that for dues..  I am a frugal type woman. I hate spending money I don't absolutely have to... But I may have to as my son want's "kids"

Quoting kirbymom:

That would name me upset too.  So how do you like homeschooling? Does your son like homeschooling?

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

I have been homeschooling since June. 

When I decided to take my son out of public school because he was failing both math, science and english. And the math teacher had the audacity to tell me "I calculated the numeric grade your son would need to pass the year and just gave it to him for his final grade"

I was so peeved off I could have spit nails.

So now he is a homeschooler! 

undefined

casie1124
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been homeschooling/unschooling all but one year of my daughters life. She will be 9 in November and my son is 5

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

where are you stationed now? and what state are you moving to?

Quoting skeletor1017:

This will be our first year HSing. We'll start in October, after we move back to the states. Our son is in a DoD school on base, for now, and it's okay. But I refuse to have them in PS once we move.

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

hi jd, do you think you'll continue homeschooling for kindergarten?

Quoting JDsmomma07:

Preschool prices here are  just ridiculous so I started homeschooling when my son turned 4 last November.  I will be finishing off my first year in November.   I did enroll him a gym class once a week for September - December for socialization and to help build confidence in playing sports.  

uriahadel
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I started in august, this is our first year and we are loving it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skeletor1017
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM

We're in Germany right now and we are suppose to be moving to Maryland. They are reviewing the paperwork right now but my hubs has been talking to some guys at one of the bases in MD and my youngest DD has a bunch of Drs. in the DC area who want us to move nearby so they can keep treating her. So, I'm hoping the military doesn't throw us through a loop and send us somewhere else.

Quoting oredeb:

where are you stationed now? and what state are you moving to?

Quoting skeletor1017:

This will be our first year HSing. We'll start in October, after we move back to the states. Our son is in a DoD school on base, for now, and it's okay. But I refuse to have them in PS once we move.

Friendster Graphics

JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Quoting oredeb:

hi jd, do you think you'll continue homeschooling for kindergarten?

Quoting JDsmomma07:

I'm DD btw.  :-D   I'm not sure yet; DH wants him in school  next year and my son keeps asking about when he's going to school so we shall see.   

IntlMom12
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

3 days. ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN