Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home schooling programs

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering if anyone uses the home schooling online programs and why you like them or not. I was thinking of using k12 or others like it. What do you think? Thanks.

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

i dont use them, but lots of moms on here do!! they will answer your question! im just bumping you up!!hahaha

peacelovingmom
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I have used K12 before when I first starting homeschooling. I live in OH and K12 is free. There are pros and cons about it. Some of the curriculum I wasn't fond of and dealing with teachers too. The pros were that in OH they had different events that we could attend and of course the curriculum was free.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I use something similar in some ways.  We use Abeka Academy (not free).  There is teacher instruction via DVD or streaming.  I like that we have a certified teacher doing the instructing so that I can still help with homework and be Mom.  I don't have the patience to teach them most of the time.  Both of mine are really bright and know how to push my buttons just right so that I snap.  We do the written work and send it in so that we can get our report card.  That is the other bonus for me.  It is accredited and that makes a world of difference to me.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

we use time4learning.com but just as supplemental work for science and LA.

superwoman0105
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Well I am so glad that you asked that question.  I am one of the newbies to K12 this year and it is also free in my state as well.  This is my first year homeschooling and I am doing it with a second grader.  We started on August 8 and we just love it.  However, there are some things that you need to know.  If you see the word "free", you must know what price you are going to pay for the "free" part because as we know, nothing comes without some form of price.  

1.  If it is "free" in your state, you will be agreeing to abide by the state requirements where you live.  For example, in Louisiana, our requirements are to log 6 hours of work per day, 30 minutes of PE per day, attend 1 online class each week in Math, English, History, and Science, log on to Study Island three times per week, and to check your K-Mail daily (which is email through K12).  

2.You are given a certified teacher and we just love ours.  They are the ones who get you up and running and help you find your grove for getting everything done.  

3. Are you the disciplined type or the laid-back see how I feel in the moment type? Personally, I need the rules that K12 put in place because I tend to be lazy and get off task very easily.  Each time I wonder if I am doing this right or if I am keeping up, I just check my handy dandy checklist of what should be done each day and then I am rest assured that I am on track or that maybe I need to plan a little better for things.  If you are the disciplined type, you will do well in K12.  If you are seeking to homeschool for total freedom and flexibility in your home life and school life, I would think again before using K12 because the "freedom" that comes with using a "free" online public school is very limited.

4.  The Curriculum is wonderful!  They give you everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you need to homeschool your child.  The books and materials are of good quality and my son just loves them.  He enjoys the online and the offline work.  This is a breath of fresh air for me because he didn't like any kind of work last year in the school he was at.  I don't know if you are looking for a christian or secular curriculum.  This curriculum is a secular curriculum so you can expect to find things in the subject content that may be a bit offensive if you are looking for a christian based curriculum.  We are bible believing Christians and we knew that this was a secular curriculum and that our son would be learning about "The Rise of Islam" in History but we were ok with that because we believe that it gives us a chance to teach him what we believe in addition to what K12 is teaching.  

5.  Planning is MANDATORY for this curriculum.  I make a plan every week and then I make a daily plan in order to keep us on task.  This year our son has Math, English (which includes, Spelling, Vocabulary, Handwriting, Literature and Comprehension, and Writing skills), Science, History, Art, Music, PE, and Study Island.  If you count them all, there are 12 subjects that I, as the Learning Coach, need to stay on top of.  I would not make it through if I didn't plan.  If you like to make lists and plans, this is for you.  If you don't like to plan, I would find something else.

I think I have put enough information in this post for you to think about.  I hope this helps.  

DawnPratt23
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a newbie to k12 and much like the prior post, it helps me a lot. Especially with my 6yr old, he has adhd and mild autism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriAlane8
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM

We use K12 and have since 2001 (when the curriculum was first released). We love it and my children are now in highschool (still using K12). I feel they have learned so much and are more than prepared for college. Actually my daughter took a college level Biology class at a local city college as a sophomore in highschool and received a 4.0. K12 writing skills, history, science and math all prepared her for this. She is not going to have a problem next year when she enters college.

Larisa72
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I looked at k12, but since we weren't sure if we were going to do it for more than a year, I wasn't happy that it didn't run similar to the public school cirriculum (sp?)...checked into options listed at the k12 website, and found Keystone....they start at middle school level and continue through high school AND give a full 12 months to get all the work completed....so far it's going well.  Any issues we have been having are on us...DS not preparing/reading ahead and getting frustrated/upset, which leads to meltdowns, which delays the school work....but he's really loving it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN