Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having a terrible time getting mentally organized!

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

Thank goodness many of you are starting next Monday. My goal was today, but that came and went with no idea of where to start.

Last year was the first year hs'ing - Kind. and I have curriculum 9most of it is separate studies based off the state standards. )

Why is this so challenging this year? i don't have the schoolroom ready, big piles of my teacher books are in the middle of the floor, much of the curriculum pages are printed but who knows exactly what to present?

I guess I am at a loss because the local Office Depot did not fix their binding machine yet and I don't have a planner bound.

Ugh. Someone make me feel better. Puhlease!

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kumbaya
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You are not alone!  Last year my daughter went to our neighborhood public kindergarten...  The workload was so intense, I tried to make it fun for her and ended up homeschooling her once she got home.  This year, things are even more intense and chaotic at our neighborhood school, so I am in the process of doing the paperwork to pull her outta there. 

I don't have our schoolroom ready either!  Materials are in various parts of the house, and it is our first exclusive homeschool project of the year (meaning it has nothing to do with what they are doing in her former first grade classroom).  We've marked the calendar for next week, and she is anxious to get started.  However, I was thinking today that while I worry that I may procrastinate, part of the reason why we are homeschooling is so that we don't have to rush as much. 

Are you doing first grade too?  Maybe yourchild could help "set up" the school, which is a nice lesson in how to organize materials...  We are trying to get set up for next week's First Day of Homeschool, but in case it isn't quite the ribbon-cutting event my perfectionistic self would like it to be, I've told my daughter that our "school" is merely "headquarters" and that we can have "school" at the grocery store as she checks things off the list, or at the library, or at the park...  That way if we're not fully set up how I'd like, we can still do something :)

Right there with you!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM
I am finally organized and we are on day 3, but I planned all summer.
Take one subject at a time and think, okay, what do we need to learn first in this subject? Planning one subject at a time helps me focus. Just use a simple day planner or print off free planning sheets until you can get yours bound.
i personally recommend getting a binding machine. I got mine at office depot website. Not expensive and has been awesome. Mine is called proclick. I have a photo tutorial on my blog journeythroughlove.blogspot.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaMas06
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, I'm relieved I'm not the only one whose finding it difficult also. I'm slowly starting Hschooling this week! yay!
duchessofdirt
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM

You are not the only one which means I'm not the only one! We don't start until next week. I still have some material to get and stuff to organize. We finally went into the classroom yesterday and put some stuff on the walls we'll be organizing the room all week. The girls have done a few little refresher worksheets but nothing major yet. 

Have fun!

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

good morning lovemyq, hahahahaha

well i wouldnt start unless your school room is cleaned up!! thats like if the kitchens  not clean then the housework overcomes you! but if the kitchen is clean then its not so bad!

as for home depot how bout going to another office supply store and getting it done!!!

sit in the middle of the floor in the school room and have at it! get it done and in order!! mondays coming!

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

love your pictures nikki!!

Quoting Boobah:

Take one subject at a time and think, okay, what do we need to learn first in this subject? Planning one subject at a time helps me focus. Just use a simple day planner or print off free planning sheets until you can get yours bound.
i personally recommend getting a binding machine. I got mine at office depot website. Not expensive and has been awesome. Mine is called proclick. I have a photo tutorial on my blog journeythroughlove.blogspot.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I reach the same point you are in every single year. LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Thank you! I have a bunch more to post for this year, including Julia's garden, our area, and the first day.  I just need some time to do it!!

Quoting oredeb:

love your pictures nikki!!

Quoting Boobah:

LovemyQ
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting Kumbaya:

You are not alone!  Last year my daughter went to our neighborhood public kindergarten...  The workload was so intense, I tried to make it fun for her and ended up homeschooling her once she got home.  This year, things are even more intense and chaotic at our neighborhood school, so I am in the process of doing the paperwork to pull her outta there. 

I don't have our schoolroom ready either!  Materials are in various parts of the house, and it is our first exclusive homeschool project of the year (meaning it has nothing to do with what they are doing in her former first grade classroom).  We've marked the calendar for next week, and she is anxious to get started.  However, I was thinking today that while I worry that I may procrastinate, part of the reason why we are homeschooling is so that we don't have to rush as much. 

Are you doing first grade too? yes, we are. Maybe yourchild could help "set up" the school, which is a nice lesson in how to organize materials..Heavens no! LOL I am too particular about that and then he would take all day organizing. He can do his bedroom, lol..  We are trying to get set up for next week's First Day of Homeschool, but in case it isn't quite the ribbon-cutting event my perfectionistic self would like it to be, Oh, yes, I am a perfectionist as well. A recovering perfectionist, lol. I've told my daughter that our "school" is merely "headquarters" and that we can have "school" at the grocery store as she checks things off the list, or at the library, or at the park...  That way if we're not fully set up how I'd like, we can still do something :)

Right there with you!

Thanks for the support!

LovemyQ
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I am finally organized and we are on day 3, but I planned all summer. I should have. I see now I will have to do it next year.
Take one subject at a time and think, okay, what do we need to learn first in this subject? Planning one subject at a time helps me focus. Just use a simple day planner or print off free planning sheets until you can get yours bound I have a planner that I get coil bound at Office Depot but their binder is broken Ugh!. Maybe that is why things haven't gone well.
i personally recommend getting a binding machine. I got mine at office depot website. Not expensive and has been awesome. Mine is called proclick. I have a photo tutorial on my blog journeythroughlove.blogspot.com If it any way fun like my laminator, I could be in trouble! lol Can't wait to check out your blog!

Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)