Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you listen to music or leave the TV on during school time?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 26 Replies

My 3 year old watches TV in the other room, but I'm wondering if silence or music might help my son FOCUS!

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

We always have music on! I keep it very low, unless one of our jams comes on and then we sing and dance and I turn it up loud. haha

TV doesnt go on in our house until after dinner. 

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

No TV because it's a distraction for all of us. But we do listen to music on Pandora. Sometimes I have it playing on my laptop, but if it gets too loud or overwhelming for me - I prefer very quiet music or silence when I work - then I'll ask DD to use her phone or iPod and plug in her headphones. She works best with music.

Knightquester
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

On occasion I'll put on symphony music or nature sounds since music with lyrics tend to be distracting and according to my eldest she can't think if it has words.

RatherBeReading
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

No, or at least we try not to. My oldest gets distracted super easily. However, my youngest sometimes watches Leapfrog while we work in another room, and she likes to keep turning it up.

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

We don't do tv at all here.  We will listen to instrumental music sometimes during "schooltime" but not distracting music.  We do watch things on the Internet, but not during core subjects.  We might during arts or other electives.  Ash watches a lot of educational type stuff on the internet, such as BrainPop and Fetch with Ruff Ruffman and shows like that from the network sites. She also likes to do extra work in math with her extra workbooks while watching things like Cyberchase.  

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

i dont know, i guess it just depends on the child!

we only hear the birds and the rain here!

AmyG1976
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

no lol to many distractions with the tv on for the kids.  My highschooler sometimes does her work with a radio on but that is it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM
We always have 1 tv on, as my DH is home. But my boys have 'quiet time' from 10-3 no games, computer, tv, etc, except for school work.
katzmeow726
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I keep the tv off, but music seems to help sometimes.  I put on some light jazz, or instrumental soundtrack music.  

MamaHome
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Usually we work better in quiet, but we have a music/dance time afterwards and/or to break up the work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN