Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here and never home schooled before :)

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  • 23 Replies

Hi ladies my name is Carrie and my DD Erin is just 3. I have been home with her her whole life.  We have explored all kinds of things and she is smart as a whip.  I KNOW everyone thinks that but at 2 1/2 she was already writing her name.  

We have never used a certain place...certain time...or certain curriculum as we were just hanging out.  I feel as though I stalled not knowing really what to do next.  She is already sounding out words and spelling easy 3 letter words.  So hubby and I decided we would get a bit more formal and home school her ( well I would).  So I am taking our spare room and going to make a classroom for us.  I think a specific place for us will be nice and I have been googling like a mad woman.  My issues are that being new of course I am nervous and wish I could just have a book to follow BUT when I read the goals for pre-K...well she already does that stuff.  

So after lots of worrying and stressing I am trying to breathe....realize that because she is so young I have more room for a learning curve than most.  I am here to feed off your guys energy...experience and probably cry for help .  :)

If anyone has suggestions for K type lessons and what resources you all prefer I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  Any suggestions will be welcomed for sure .  I am so excited we are starting tomorrow.

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Relax! At this age, no matter how smart the kiddo, formal learning is not only absolutely unecessary it can be a hinderance. My oldest has tested off the charts (IQ, KABC, and GT) and we are just getting into set learning for K. Until now, its all been fun...which grows his desire to learn. The key to helping our gifted kids is to ignite and feed their love of learning....fuel the imagination with great books....real literature, not fluff. Even little ones get burnout...and that is counterproductive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Quoting BramblePatch:

Relax! At this age, no matter how smart the kiddo, formal learning is not only absolutely unecessary it can be a hinderance. My oldest has tested off the charts (IQ, KABC, and GT) and we are just getting into set learning for K. Until now, its all been fun...which grows his desire to learn. The key to helping our gifted kids is to ignite and feed their love of learning....fuel the imagination with great books....real literature, not fluff. Even little ones get burnout...and that is counterproductive.

I am looking for stuff that will challenge her because she LOVES to learn.  As I said all we have done is hang out up to this point.  She has picked all this up just from Leap Frog and Word World ABC mouse .com PBS and just trying new things.  

She has a great imagination and I and her 3 grown brothers act it out with her all the time.  Her middle brother came today and played for 2 hours with her as super heros.  Today as we went through our day she attempted to tell me what letter EVERYTHING started with by sounding it out.  I don't ask her.  

Sorry I don't think making a "classroom" for her and asking for suggestions of things to do with her in a little more structured environment will hurt anything.  She is actually my 4th child and  2 of my older children skipped grades BUT I worked full time so I didn't have the time to explore with them like I do her.

I get you don't KNOW me yet but if she doesn't want to do this or isn't enjoying it we wouldn't do it.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Have you tried letter of the week it has a set curriculum for reading for kindergarten.  You can alternate that with days of counting and playing math games.  The thing is though she is ready accademically she may not be when it comes to doing the same amount of time sitting work.  It will be tough finding a good schedule but after a month or two you should have it.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I would consider Math U See primer. It is a lil plain (no color/graphics) but very simple for a pre~k book, you could do a page from it now andagain in conjunction with more hands on fun stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lightningshadow
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM

If she is a hands-on learner then you could try Adventures in America for Kindergarten History, Elemental Science for Science and Montessori stuff.  http://www.elementalscience.com/ and http://www.elementalhistory.com/.  *Click on the "Preschool" and select "Exploring Science" which is for K4 and K5 students OR you can select Intro to Science which is for Kindergarten and 1st grade.*  Both Elemental Science and Elemental History are divided into 36 weeks that cover the entire year.  You will have to buy the supplemental books for the Science as well as the reading books listed or check them out from your library.  Furthermore the 36 weeks are of the Science programs are divided into units which are broken down to 4 weeks=1 unit.  You can do the weeks in any order.  For example Exploring Science has 9 units.  You could even take Bill Nye the Science Guy and Magic School bus series to teach science that way if you want-i.e. focus on a certain topic then use the corresponding magic school bus book to read.  Since she is so little play works best at this early age-play is important up until 8 years old (i.e. 3rd grade though sadly as we all know K-3rd in public school no longer includes play as part of their curriculum). 

English... Letter of the Week, Handwriting without Tears, Hooked on Phonics

Math... You could do Saxon Math which has manipulative package with it, Singapore Math, Math U See, Horizon Math

Hooked on Spanish or Muffy videos if you want her to learn a foreign langauge (which will be easy since little ones soak up everything they learn)/Also could use Rosetta Stone to help with that if you want

P.E. can be done at the YMCA (at least here it can as they have a home school P.E. Class and a homeschool Swim class) or just anything with physical activity can be counted as P.E. (like running around the yard, riding a bike, climbing trees, etc.)

Socialiation: Lots of things.  YMCA or community center/religious organization (if you're religious), play dates, going to the park, etc.  The beauty of home school (depending on your state's requirements) is that as long as you get the required number of days done for the year and teach the required subjects to graudate they don't care.  If you're having a bad day you can skip and pick it up later.  If you're feeling sick then you can take off for a week-a couple months and work on it later.  At that early age there's no state requirements for her since they aren't required to be in school yet.  Make everything a game for her, read stories, have her help cook (teaches math, science, reading) in the kitchen, lots of play. 

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:00 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking. I teach my kids from birth. My youngest is also 3 years old. He does not do any formal learning right now. I work with him on sign language, learning through play, he is currently obsessed with numbers, he likes to bake, and loves reading. We spend lots of time with library books and learning about dinosaurs (another obsession). The little ones learn in all that we do as well. I got hurt pretty good today and we taught him how to fix the cut. He went from watching his teenage sister show him how to bandage my arm to wrapping up his doll and pretending to wash the wound and put antibiotic ointment on. He also explained to the cat that he needs to be nice and use his manners and tried to give him a time out to think about what he has done to hurt someone. So adorable. Kitty got some time in his cat carrier to say the least and I was ok with that.

Quoting BramblePatch:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Welcome!!

You're right, don't stress yet!have fun!

I started HS in much the same manner as you. We are still going strong nearly a decade later!

Shannon

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

WELCOME!

There are sooooo many directions you can go when you have an eager learner like your daughter. The key is choosing things that will fuel her desire to keep at it in stead of snuffing it out. My suggestion would be to mix things up. Take lots of field trips, watch learning type videos, go on nature walks, do some cooking associated with a history or math lesson, do LOTS of hands on activities to reinforce new ideas, throw in some fun computer games (time4 learning and factmonster are great), do lots of reading aloud from great literature, and round things out with some traditional learning from workbooks, texts and printouts (Evan Moore, Donna Young's printables, and Primary Language Lessons are 3 that come to mind).

Some set "curricula" that you could check out would be Queens, Sonlight, Oak Meadow, Timberdoodle, Winter's Promise, Abeka, and Ambleside. There are many things I LOVE about all of these that I have listed, or I would not have suggested them. But if I had it to do over again, and money was not an issue, I would go with Winter's Promise for K - 3 grade because of the rich content and gentle structure they provide.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey Carrie :)
With Riley we're using All About Reading by All About Learning Press the pre-reading level. He is LOVING it and although he already knows all of his letters and sounds, we're still doing a letter a day and focusing on writing since he still hasn't decided if he's a lefty or righty, and it also focuses on rhyming and a ton of other things. And maybe Erin is ready for the level 1 stuff already...always worth a look :). The program is designed for all types of learners too which is why I think we're loving it so much. The pre-level is more like play than anything else. - I think in our facebook group with the April babies I mentioned how we altered the  program to include a shape and color of the day and we learn about a few animals that start with that letter, and we go for shape and color walks and make a journal of all the things we see that start with the letter of the day, the color, or shape :).   That way its not exactly formal, and its not exactly unstructured either.
We're also using the Math U See primer with Ry-guy.

erinsmom1964
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi sweetie THANKS.  Yeah you guys are the reason I thought to maybe get some help and add some more formal teaching.  We have always done the cooking, field trips, trying different things like piano, hip hop, swimming ETC Heck one day we spent 30 minutes following a butterfly around just waiting for it to tire enough so we could observe it up close.   I "plan" one activity a day out of the house even if its just a hike. She also does animal rescue with me and just this AM we found one of our cockatiels eggs had hatched. So instead of what I thought we would do this am which was paint pics of A objects we instead did birds.  Finding a program was as much for me to guide me how to help this voracious learner.  She was so excited and we don't even have the room done that she got up at 6 am to start "school"

I guess I should of just stuck with asking you guys by some of the responses I got here but I was just doing my research and definitely wanted to get ideas from others who have older kids as we are seriously thinking about homeschooling in the long run. Also when I go to pre-school programs they are things she already knows and has been doing quite awhile so I LOVE the idea of something more flexible.

I thought of a shape and color or letter of the day BUT really we have been doing that already just by following her lead.  She tends to focus on something and runs with it all day.  Yesterday was telling me what everything we came in contact with what letter it started with and if she couldn't figure it she asked me and then later as we saw it again she then would tell me she remembered.

This morning she decided to try and spell everything in my room...cat...dog...bed etc.  LOL all this before my morning coffee. I don't ask her she asks me.

I will definatley look into your suggestions THANKS AGAIN for not treating me like I am some wicked school marm who is attempting to force her child to do things way over her head and suck the fun out of her life.  :) Which is actually funny seeing how I am against formal pre-school away from parent

Quoting No_Difference:

Hey Carrie :)
With Riley we're using All About Reading by All About Learning Press the pre-reading level. He is LOVING it and although he already knows all of his letters and sounds, we're still doing a letter a day and focusing on writing since he still hasn't decided if he's a lefty or righty, and it also focuses on rhyming and a ton of other things. And maybe Erin is ready for the level 1 stuff already...always worth a look :). The program is designed for all types of learners too which is why I think we're loving it so much. The pre-level is more like play than anything else. - I think in our facebook group with the April babies I mentioned how we altered the  program to include a shape and color of the day and we learn about a few animals that start with that letter, and we go for shape and color walks and make a journal of all the things we see that start with the letter of the day, the color, or shape :).  
That way its not exactly formal, and its not exactly unstructured either.
We're also using the Math U See primer with Ry-guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)