Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

how many hours a day do you homeschool?  I have 4 girls 3 with learning disabilities so sometimes it is hard.  But I try to do at least 4 hours during the day and if I can 1 more at night.

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:49 AM
Replies (11-19):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

We have lots of stuff that my daughter asked to do this year so we'll see when we start. I think I'm goign to have to put a timer for classes otherwise we may never finish LOL. Generally we learn all day too, but last year we only worked in a structured way for 2-4 hrs depending on what classes we were working on. With my little guy this year we usually only work for an hr on worksheets (mostly coloring or dot to dots since he's preK/K) but we also sing songs ALL day long and do lots of other stuff throughout the day that is more like play.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

2 to 4 hours of structured learning a day.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Depending on the age and their capacity to retain information and their ability to hold still in one oplace long enough to learn. And of course all that is dependant on what your child's desires are. I have a 5 yr old that just started more formal schooling and he is picking up what he is being taught so quickly that he will probably catch up to his 9 yr old sister in about 3-6 months.  I hand write his work every day. He does about 7 pages per day. Sometimes he takes about 3 hours and sometimes he takes about 4 and sometimes its less. Roughly estimating around 2-4 hours in a given day.  

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Also, Welcome to our group!  :)  hugs

undefined

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

about 3 hours, I guess. Sometimes It's more, sometimes it's less. Tomorrow will be a lot, I think! (I'm adding composition for all 3 kids - 1st, 2nd, 7th).

superwoman0105
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I have a second grader and we school everyday from 7:30am to 12:30pm...that's 5 hours a day

Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Ny regs require a 6 hour day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Generally we do about 4 hours of structured work in the mornings and extracurricular activities in the afternoons. I just have one 3rd grader to teach and he has a great thirst for learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
srichtermom
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I have a 4th grader and a 4.5 year old and this is our first year homeschooling.  So far, we do about 2.5 to 3 hours of structured learning in the morning.  This covers maths, spelling, grammar, writing, geography, Bible and history.  My hubby loves science so he does the science lessons and experiments with the kiddos in the evening.  My 4th grade daughter also does 30 mins of independent reading in the afternoon when my little guy has his nap/quiet time.  We do other non-structured learning like field trips, art lessons, nature walks and fun games together too but book learning is about 3 hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN