Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lefty or Righty

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 22 Replies

So my little guy is 3 and still hasn't decided which he is. i feel like we can not continue on with our level of school stuff we do with him until he can start writing because he is struggling with even just tracing and he is so much of a perfectionist that if he goes off the line just a little he has a melt down. He can write the letter A extremely well BUT he switches hands when making the first two lines, and it doesn't matter which hand for the horizontal line. I try to have him write the whole letter with one hand, then having him write the whole letter with the other, but he gets frustrated because he "forgets" how to hold the pencil, chalk, paint brush, etc. I've tried having him write in sand, shaving cream, whip cream...anything with just his finger and its the same problem.
When did your kiddos figure out if they were a lefty or righty and has anyone else had this "problem"?? (I know its not really a problem... but I'm at a loss of what to do with him)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jorjiegirl
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM
He might not be a righty or lefty he could be an ambidextrous and use both, if that's the case he will have to figure out which is more dominant and it might take awhile, I can use either and so can my dad at about 5 I figured out left came more natural for me but I can still write with either easily
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

hi no difference!!!

i didnt worry bout it at that age, some of mine did that also at that age, changing hands, also i didnt have them do any writing (formally) till around 5, they'd color with their one hand then switch over to the other hand to paint and cut with the other hand!!!hahaha, by 5  they knew which hand they were gona use!

katetheredhead
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I use both equally, my older brother is left handed and my parents were determined that I would be right handed bc it was easier, to them anyways. I wouldn't stress, just let your child guide himself. He will figure it out. I happen to write with both hands and I eat, play golf, shoot and bat left handed. I sew left handed, but if I am painting I use my right hand...try not to pressure him, it will all work out.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

My husband was the same way. He is ambidextrous. He uses both hands for different things. Our youngest is the same way too. She is 3. My 6 yr old is writing with his right hand but tries to hold the pencil like a lefty. We think he could be ambidextrous too.  I wouldn't worry too much. By the time your sons is old enough to do a lot more formal schooling, he will most likely have figured out which hand he wants to use. As long as you are calm about it, he will figure it out and not have too much trouble. :)  

undefined

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I am ambidexterous, I cut with my left hand and type with my left hand(when I hunt and peck) and do almost everything else with my right.  I agree with the other moms.  Even with my older 2, I often have them draw what they are thinking instead of writing it.  Kids at these young ages think in pictures and feelings more than in words.  After they have drawn the picture I have them tell me a couple sentences about it and I write down verbatim what they have dictated.  It reinforces reading and vocabulary development without the fine motor skills.

There are some great cutting and tracing fine motor skills worksheets online.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I say do not worry about it at his age. It's more important that he knows and can form the letters, even if he switches hands, than he write them perfectly.  it will come. It's normal for all kids to write letters backward even in to 1st and sometimes 2nd grade.

DH is a definite lefty, I'm ambidextrious...we have three kids and got one lefty :)

I eat, write and shoot left handed. I play ball, bowl, and do most other things right handed. Baseball I throw right handed and bat both was. LOL So I guess we could say I'm cathcing up to 40 and still haven't figured it out... LMAO

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My 7yo daughter is ambidextrous. she writes with both hands equally well, she will switch hands sometimes. It's not an issue at all, as a matter of fact I think that it is probably a plus (she can write longer than her older brother, who is right handed. If one hand gets tired she can simply switch).

Let him do what he wants, it doens't really matter. At this age writing is labor intensive, just let him do what comes naturally to him.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I'm not so much worried which he'll be, it's more or less he his having a break down whenever he can't figure out how to successfully switch the pencil over. Me being a righty, and my left hand is fatally incompetent, I can't help him at all with his left handed work. If he does go lefty, I know I will struggle, and I don't want to hold him back either.

Is there anyway I can help him not so much in deciding which to use but to use both equally? I put the pencil in front of him in the middle so he grabs w/ whichever hand he feels like using. I attempt to have him write at least one letter at a time with one hand. For instance today we practiced writing A B and C. So for his first attempt at A it was solely with his left hand, then we tried it again solely with his right hand. Then with B we did his right and first then his left. This way he isn't switching as often between the strokes of the letter itself.  I just don't know if I'm going about this the right way, if it matters in the end. He wants to write and is getting extremely frustrated because he's having difficulties. He gets more frustrated because when he switches hands, he "forgets" how to hold it or tries to hold it like he did in the other hand exactly instead of treating it as "a mirror" ... I hope that made sense... I don't expain it like that to him, I just try and show him the best I can.

Does anyone know of any websites that can help me with my left hand issues when teaching him? lol

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM

At 3 I wouldn't worry too much. Now my son is 5 and he's sort of starting to favor his right hand, but it depends on what he's doing (he has dyspraxia and it sometimes takes awhile for them to decide--not that I'm saying this is an issue with yours--again at 3 I wouldn't worry!). And I admit with his handwriting practice, I do encourage him to use his right hand more because I can't teach him to write left-handed. He might be ambidextrous in other areas though.

Don't worry too much about teaching him to write at this stage. Let him play with holding crayons and such and coloring and whatever, but I would spend more time teaching him to identify objects and such rather than worry about whether he can write them or not. There is plenty of time for that.

duchessofdirt
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

That's how my brother was...ambidextrous he still is at 32 he uses different hands for different things. Left for writing though.

I wouldn't worry about it, let him use what he is comfortable with at that moment. If you make an issue over it he'll get frustrated and not want to do anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN