Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my little guy is 3 and still hasn't decided which he is. i feel like we can not continue on with our level of school stuff we do with him until he can start writing because he is struggling with even just tracing and he is so much of a perfectionist that if he goes off the line just a little he has a melt down. He can write the letter A extremely well BUT he switches hands when making the first two lines, and it doesn't matter which hand for the horizontal line. I try to have him write the whole letter with one hand, then having him write the whole letter with the other, but he gets frustrated because he "forgets" how to hold the pencil, chalk, paint brush, etc. I've tried having him write in sand, shaving cream, whip cream...anything with just his finger and its the same problem.
When did your kiddos figure out if they were a lefty or righty and has anyone else had this "problem"?? (I know its not really a problem... but I'm at a loss of what to do with him)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (21-22):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

He does everything with both. Sometimes he automatically starts with his left hand, and then other times he'll start with his right. It just depends on his mood or if one hand is "tired" as he puts it.  I have been trying to encourage both just because he really hasn't displayed a dominant hand. He writes better when he uses both (for a single letter), but that isn't going to work so well when he gets older, otherwise attempted writing is really sloppy if done with only one hand.

I noticed today that he switches depending on which half of the paper he is on too. I made him a binder with printed out pages in page protectors so he could use the big fat Expo markers and do the worksheets (tracing ABCs or tracing diagonal lines, straight lines, curved lines etc) over and over since I can't find any chunky pencils. On the top left of the page, he will only use his left hand, on the top right only his right hand, near the middle he switches as he feels, and on the bottom it's the reverse... He did it consistantly on the A-E worksheets.  Maybe he's just weird?? lol

My biggest issue is I'm having a hard time showing him how to hold a writing utensil in his left hand since it is beyond unnatural for me lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We had the same problem with my youngest. Learning to write is always a headache in our house because I'm the only Lefty, which makes it a bit awkward teaching all the righties!

My suggestion is this. Which hand does he start writing with? Does he eat with that hand? That is probably his dominant hand. I would suggest getting one of the special pencil grips that can't be switched. Have him stick with hte hand he started writing with, and just gently remind him to stick with it.

I think my boys were between 3.5-4.5 y/o when they finally chose a hand and stopped switching back and forth. Though my eldest has aspergers, and he switches hands for a lot of things (like he eats lefty, but writes righty).

zebrachick83
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Our 3 year old is going through this as well. I'm not worried about it, though. I think he'll choose one (or both) in his own time. Our 7 year old is left-handed and it took her until age 4 or so to decide that. Our 4 year old has decided on being right handed, so I expect our youngest to make his "choice" in another year or so. :)

Homeschooling, writing, JW mom to three. Wife to one and only. expecting girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)