Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Needing more spelling curriculum and a question about time4learning.

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

Spelling first: We have almost finished the HOP Spelling. I need another spelling curriculum for my 1st grader. I feel like HOP has equipped him with the spelling rules but not actually with spelling individual words- although he can spell many words. So what do you guys use for spelling?

Second: I am considering using time4learning.com as a supplemental tool. I was wondering if it is actually possible to use it this way. I want to be main teacher. I use text books, some online programs and a few dvd, cd programs and he is learning: spelling, reading/phonics, math, social studies, spanish, grammar, and science. He is doing very very well but I just feel like allowing him to paly with the time4learning might be nice also. He really loves ABCmouse.com but he's far too advanced for it now. I think that time4learning is very similar. However I"m not wanting it to be his main curriculum. Does anyone have any experience with this?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lawschoolmom1
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM
There us a free online textbook called treasures. I use one for my daughter in the 6 th grade we swapped to it because we didn't like her Abeka one. I'm out of the house today but I will post the link for you tonight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

We haven't landed on an actual curriculum, yet. You can get spelling lists off the web, though.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Here's the link. 8) It's great!

Quoting lawschoolmom1:

There us a free online textbook called treasures. I use one for my daughter in the 6 th grade we swapped to it because we didn't like her Abeka one. I'm out of the house today but I will post the link for you tonight.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I used time4learning until 3rd grade as a supplement. IMO its not sufficient as a complete corriculum.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I want something extra (more as play) but not actually replacing me.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I used time4learning until 3rd grade as a supplement. IMO its not sufficient as a complete corriculum.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Quoting chotovec82:

My kids rarely saw it ask school. Especially lower than 3rd grade. The animations and games are top of the line.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

BramblePatch
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Take a look at Learning to Spell Through Copywork from Queens Homeschool Supplies. Simple, thorough, and inexpensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

heres a list also from the treasures  http://activities.macmillanmh.com/reading/treasures/html/teacher_spelling.html

for our spelling i take words out of our unit study and use them

no experience with timefor learning here

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Time4Learning is a great "tool" but not a complete toolbox IMO.

Fridays were our Time4Learning days. My son could substitute one class for T4L on Fridays and could use it throughout the week any time once his regular work was done.

If I had it to do over again, I would have used BJU spelling from the beginning. We only used it last year for 6th, and that is as far as they go with spelling until the student starts vocab instead. It was wonderful! I loved it and my son, who always struggled in spelling, also loved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN