Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel as tho I am not doing enough...

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok I am doing block scheduling (kind of). I do on M, W: Science, Phonics/Reading, Journal, and spelling. On T, TH: Math, Social Studies, Foreign Language (SPANISH), Grammar. On Friday it is review and journal. Now... I am not sure I am doing enough each day over the subjects. 

Today was Math, SS, Spanish and Grammar. We did 4 wkshts of math, read about pilgrims an actual book, did 2 lessons of HOP Spanish and read the readers, and did 3 wkshts of grammar and we did a make up journal entry. It seemed to go very quickly. 

We usually do 2 or 3 lessons for each subject on the days that we do those subjects. We usually do reviews for these subjects on Friday. I feel like he is learning a lot but just wanting to make sure. 

He also does Starfall.com, ABCmouse.com and other various software education stuff that I have. 

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I would recommend doing math daily
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He hates math so we are taking it slow and easy. At the end of a week he gets as much done as he would if he had it daily anyways. I am just giving him breaks from subjects. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I would recommend doing math daily

oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

how old are the kids i forget!!

and it sounds like your doing a lot!!!

but i agree with auty, math and lang arts daily!math doesnt have to be out of the book, it can be games, cooking, projects, building something etc. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Aiden is 6 and Kai is 4. They do get a form of Math and Language Arts daily- it's just not formal teaching. They do starfall.com which my son focuses does the math on that and we have math games that I bought for him which he plays. ABCmouse.com also has a little bit of math. He does get some form of language arts daily, grammar, spelling, phonics and reading. Math is his problem subject and he gets really frustrated with it. I am taking it slow with him. We'll work into the summer on Math if he isn't up to grade level by next year. I don't want to push it on him tho. 

Quoting oredeb:

but i agree with auty, math and lang arts daily!math doesnt have to be out of the book, it can be games, cooking, projects, building something etc. 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

IMO you are doing plenty for the age of your kids!  I agree with the other ladies math and LA should be daily.  Math could be as simple as helping in the kitchen, helping with grocery shopping, etc.  LA could simply be a story book they pick out and you reinforcing the lessons they are currently learning.  Structured learning time should go quickly at this age.  You don't want to overload them.  At this age they can learn so much through play.  My DS learned to read through play.  He learned better through play than I could ever teach with a structured curriculum.   

oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM

hey your doing good!!! if you are enjoying it and they are, keep on going!! seems like enough stuff your doing each day!

Quoting chotovec82:

Aiden is 6 and Kai is 4. They do get a form of Math and Language Arts daily- it's just not formal teaching. They do starfall.com which my son focuses does the math on that and we have math games that I bought for him which he plays. ABCmouse.com also has a little bit of math. He does get some form of language arts daily, grammar, spelling, phonics and reading. Math is his problem subject and he gets really frustrated with it. I am taking it slow with him. We'll work into the summer on Math if he isn't up to grade level by next year. I don't want to push it on him tho. 

Quoting oredeb:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

there are math websites and i can't think of the sites available. I'm looking for the post about it but can't find it. I know i had bought it monthly but he's not using that one so i want to try a different one which means i need to cancel the current one. can you name off math websites please. 

Quoting oredeb:

hey your doing good!!! if you are enjoying it and they are, keep on going!! seems like enough stuff your doing each day!

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting oredeb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN