Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

backwards

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 3 Replies

My 7yr old still writes many letters backwards.  She can't tell a lower case b from a d.  Her numbers end up backwards often too.  She also puts her shoes on the wrong feet half the time.  She says she doesn't see the difference.  She reads some words backwards like on is no or sounding out a word from right to left though she's been aware of left to right for many years.  Then she shakes her head and starts over.   I never worried about it before but I am starting to because it seems like she should get it by now.  When do you really need to be concerned about this?  Is there anything that helps it or will she eventually get it?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

IMO I wouldn't worry yet.  It's good that you are aware of it.  DD wrote letters backwards  occasionally until age 8.  From what I've read it's common through about 2nd grade.  I've seen kids as old as 10 and 11 write letters backwards.  Maybe take a little time each day to work on it and see where you are in 6 months. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Mine is the same way. They are still little though. Heck I have been known to flip letters around myself & not realize it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Some kids take longer to understand & remember that kind of stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)