Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what age do you introduce different race?

Posted by   + Show Post

my son is almost 7, his father is black and white (white being irish) and i am white (white meaning, itailan, french, yogoslavian, hungarian and german).  i never bring up race or skin color to my son, he only realized me and his dad are different at age 5 and he thought it was because his dad was older than me. lol. so cute! anyway, we talk about god and jesus, and how everyone is the same, ect. animals are very big with us, they are all treated equal a bug or a cat they all have a purpose, i want to start teaching him about different cultures this year in sencond grade, we read folktales and fables from other countries already, but i wanted to get more in depth with culture. however i do not intend to concentrate on their skin color what so ever. so am i teaching him about race or just culture this way? and when will you introduce race so to speak. like when my son says the red guy or black guy (if we dont know names like a a footbal game, or soccer game, ect.) but what he is looking at is the color of their clothes. :) so the shirt will be red or black, i love that about him, i want him to stay like that forever, so i do not want to introduce skin color yet. what do you think/do with your kids?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Replies (21-25):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Thanks mem. Just looking to see if I could give an answer that didn't involve my faith and be one that I could believe in myself. kwim?

Quoting mem82:

You didn't ask for a spiritual answer. You asked what a nonbeliever uses to understand why the different skin colors.

I believe in creation through evolution, myself and that is what I teach.

Quoting kirbymom:

But wouldn't that be considered the wonderful, ever-evolving, evolution, that most christians disagree with?  

Quoting mem82:

I use faith but the different races came to be because different peoples adapted to their environment differently. God, the Great Engineer, was smart when he planned out our evolution. ~~  I know!!! :) Yes, He is. :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Okay. I'm curious. For those of us who don't actually have any particular faith or no faith at all, how would race be introduced?  

I do have a faith and use it to discuss all kinds of questions, including race.  And I grew up with a faith as well. So I have had faith in my life, my whole life.  But for someone who hasn't grown up with it or just chooses to not go there, how would you tell a child why there are different colors of races?  How those colors came to be?  And as far as I can see, genetics just doesn't cover it well enough.  I am not trying to start anything, but I am genuinely curious.  I would like to know so that maybe I can find a different approach, without the God factor, to this subject so that it wouldn't look as if I were trying to influence/convert anyone to my faith against their own, whether they have a faith or not.  Wow! Does anyone understand what I am trying to say? Ohhh I sure hope so.   

MessedUpMama
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Lets see if I can remember my genetics class. Darker skin developed to protect the folate levels in people who lived near the equator where there is more sun than other places. Lighter skin developed in people who live farther away from the equator to help them absorb more vitamin D. It's our ability to adapt that brought about the varying skin colors we see today even though we move around so much and those adaptations aren't as necessary any more.

I happen to agree with mem82, I believe that God created us and set into motion evolution. Actually, I believe that God created our souls/spirits "in his image"  rather than our bodies. Our bodies evolved separately like other animals on the earth.

zebrachick83
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:50 AM

As a mixed-race individual, I don't see the need in discussing race at all. I agree that culture is far more important than race anyway. When he grows up, he'll decide how he wants to identify. Personally, I identify as black but it took me several years (and several life experiences) to come to that decision. :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

We haven't talked about it really, and dd is 7.  We are "white" but my side has Indian in them so some of us tend to darken quickly in the sun.  We have a pretty big variety of skin tones in our family, so she just figures it is just like having blond hair or brown hair.  

MedicMommy2
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

My son just turned 6 and he started asking at about 4 so I told him the truth. Science is the basis of all my answers I have a hard time sugar coating it with religion. Those that worked outside and lived closer to the equator are darker those that worked inside and live farther away are lighter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)