Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what age do you introduce different race?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 25 Replies

my son is almost 7, his father is black and white (white being irish) and i am white (white meaning, itailan, french, yogoslavian, hungarian and german).  i never bring up race or skin color to my son, he only realized me and his dad are different at age 5 and he thought it was because his dad was older than me. lol. so cute! anyway, we talk about god and jesus, and how everyone is the same, ect. animals are very big with us, they are all treated equal a bug or a cat they all have a purpose, i want to start teaching him about different cultures this year in sencond grade, we read folktales and fables from other countries already, but i wanted to get more in depth with culture. however i do not intend to concentrate on their skin color what so ever. so am i teaching him about race or just culture this way? and when will you introduce race so to speak. like when my son says the red guy or black guy (if we dont know names like a a footbal game, or soccer game, ect.) but what he is looking at is the color of their clothes. :) so the shirt will be red or black, i love that about him, i want him to stay like that forever, so i do not want to introduce skin color yet. what do you think/do with your kids?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't teach race as much as geography, and culture.  With that comes what people indigenous to that country or area look like, what they wear, what they eat, music, customs and traditions, plus a wider idea of just how big the world really is.

The sad thing I have noticed about today's society is that race is something known at a certain age, and it's emphasised whereas culture, knowledge of various ethnic backgrounds and respecting others traditions seem to be lost.

As far as how you can teach that, you can create your own History curriculum, or purchase a bit of this and that, or a pre-packaged one like story of the world and History Odyssey that seem to cover various historical past and cultures around the world.  I'm sure there are many other better options too.

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not teach about different races. Separating races is the worst thing to me. We are all human. I teach about different cultures, geography, and customs. My daughter is 17 and has never been taught about race. She learned that one side of India can be very different in their shade from the other. She learned that African's can look one way but that there are many whites in Africa as well. In England it is a beautiful mix like it is in America. I believe separating races for any reason just heightens the concept of racism.  

mommytobooger
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

ok good, i am glad i am not alone, i dont want to ever teach it, i just didnt know if that would be wierd. yes, i love the culture thing, and i love how he sees all as one now, like he treats animals like people, he talks to them and everything! i love that, i love that we all look the same to him, that is a big reason i have a problem with public school especially where i live, so many kids bully and make fun of because of race, or the N wird! that gets me soo mad, and all kids say in around here, so glad i home school!

thanks ladies! and will look into those curriculuums!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not make it a point to teach this it will come naturally as he grows up. As my children have grown questions have come from them about why some people are darker skinned then others & I have answered the questions to fit there maturityat the time.

Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by heritable phenotypic characteristics, geographic ancestry, physical appearance, ethnicity, and social status.

In my opinion it is just another way to separate us from each other & should not matter.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is asian indian and I am white.  We have always explained to our kids from baby on up that people have different skin colors and just told them that we are all equal and skin color is genetic and cause by where the persons heritage is from.  My girls now 5 and 6 were told they can say they are whatever color they liked and for awhile they said they were pink and purple, even though they knew thier colors.  Now they say they are brown and Indian (asian).  I tell them it doesnt matter and they can be whatever they want.  It matters how they behave and treat others.

foxfaith147
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I have not taught color it nor will I  until it comes up in studies.  He (7) has asked why we are different and I have given the answers of .... GOD made us all different....the pigment of our skin....some people are from Africa, India, Asia and us in America are a mix of everything.  The first time he asked, we were in the return line in Walmart and he was about 2....he asked why the clerk had darker skin than mine(while touching hers)....she looked at me wondering what I would say....I smiled at her and then him and explained that GOD made us all different...he asked why...I said it would be boring if he made us all the same now wouldn't it?  he said yes and that was the end of it.  The  clerk just smiled at me as we left.  Innocence is grand.

P.S. yet one more reason to homeschool!!!!!

I am but a pile of dung saved only by GODS unwavering Gracepink ribbon

PinkHairMAMA
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I would start with something like food and holidays. Go to a Chinese restaurant and then learn about their culture, then a Mexican restaurant, then a Tai, etc. He will come up with his own questions as you go. DH and I are also in a mixed race marriage, he's Filipino and I'm white, our kids have only recently figured it out. LOL. Kids are so precious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM

My kids have all asked things at different ages. We go with God and DNA. LOL We also avoid describing people by skin color if possible. It makes it seem less of a divide that way. If we do refer to someone else, we say, the one who was darker that us. We're very pale, so this actually can refer to other caucasians as well. LOL I'm a quarter plus a bit Native American and a quarter Polish. Our family runs the gauntlet from mega pale to very dark so its never been an issue for the kids to understand that some people are just a different shade of human. LOL

Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
I totally agree with This. Teach him to respect himself and as a result he will respect others

Quoting Knightquester:

I wouldn't teach race as much as geography, and culture.  With that comes what people indigenous to that country or area look like, what they wear, what they eat, music, customs and traditions, plus a wider idea of just how big the world really is.

The sad thing I have noticed about today's society is that race is something known at a certain age, and it's emphasised whereas culture, knowledge of various ethnic backgrounds and respecting others traditions seem to be lost.

As far as how you can teach that, you can create your own History curriculum, or purchase a bit of this and that, or a pre-packaged one like story of the world and History Odyssey that seem to cover various historical past and cultures around the world.  I'm sure there are many other better options too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
I also like the food aspect. like that a lot

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

I would start with something like food and holidays. Go to a Chinese restaurant and then learn about their culture, then a Mexican restaurant, then a Tai, etc. He will come up with his own questions as you go. DH and I are also in a mixed race marriage, he's Filipino and I'm white, our kids have only recently figured it out. LOL. Kids are so precious!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)