Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mary Todd Lincoln is going to be retried for insanity

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
  • 19 Replies

Mary Todd Lincoln to be retried for insanity

Former first lady Mary Todd Lincoln will get a new trial to decide whether she was actually insane. (Wikicommo …One hundred and 30 years after her death, Mary Todd Lincoln will be retried for insanity.

The former first lady was declared insane 10 years after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in 1865, when her son Robert Todd Lincoln had her committed.

"Even today, historians disagree whether the evidence against the First Lady was 'trumped up,' whether the procedures used constituted due process, and what would occur if today's modernized health laws were applied to the same facts," reads a statement from the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.

Lincoln's mental stability was called into question after she suffered from depression following the deaths of not only her husband but also two of her young children. She allegedly spent the years after President Lincoln's death attempting to communicate with him via seance.

But the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Illinois Supreme Court Historic Preservation Commission and the Lincoln Museum are set to give Mary Todd Lincoln a new trial, starting in October.

The dueling legal teams will dress in period clothes from the era but will argue their case relying on current law. Actors will play the roles of Mary Todd Lincoln and Robert Todd Lincoln, but real-life judges will serve as lawyers for each side in the re-creation of the case. Former Illinois Gov. Jim Edgar will narrate the trial.

And adding more theatricality to the performance, members of the audience will reportedly serve as jury.

Mary Todd Lincoln spent about four months in the Bellevue Place sanitarium after being declared insane in 1875. However, after secretly communicating with her lawyer and writing a letter to the Chicago Times, she was eventually released. In a letter written in August 1875, Lincoln wondered why her son Robert had seemingly turned on her. She later came to believe that her son's actions were an attempt to take control of her finances:

"It does not appear that God is good, to have placed me here. I endeavor to read my Bible and offer up my petitions three times a day," Lincoln wrote. "But my afflicted heart fails me and my voice often falters in prayer. I have worshipped my son and no unpleasant word ever passed between us, yet I cannot understand why I should have been brought out here."

The letter is just one of 25 written by Mary Todd Lincoln during her "insanity period" and was believed to have been burned by Robert Todd Lincoln. However, the letters were discovered in 2006 in a steamer trunk owned by the children of Robert Todd Lincoln's attorney.

by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyofPhilly
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Well that's what they used to do with bothersome women back then, call them crazy and put them away.

oredeb
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

geee are they serious! well it sounds kinda fun when i think about it!

they should have college kids wanting to be lawyers practising with it! ohh that would be fun projects for our kids!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It would be fun to watch. LOL

sourflower
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM
:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I think this would be the best thing for young student lawyers to go through to learn how to be an attorney/lawyer.  I too think it would be interesting to watch and find out what results they come up with. 

undefined

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds interesting as long as my taxes aren't paying for it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

It's probably got some fund raising attached to it. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

Sounds interesting as long as my taxes aren't paying for it.

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Women were treated so horribly back then, even in the last century. I'm sure alot of it had to do with money issues, say if she had an inheritance and they wanted to do something to get it from her, just declare her insane.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That's pretty cool. I love that time era, I'm a huge Civil War buff so I've always like Lincoln :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM
It seems if they really wanted to retry using current laws and such, then there shouldn't be all the theatrics.... It seems, to me, they should be mutually exclusive.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)