Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My girls use k12 and go to a class once a week, on Tuesday they are having a mini ceremony to discuss Patriot Day as it is now called.  I have showed my girls videos and talked about it a little as the day has approached for the last 2 years.  I have tried to ensure it wasnt to graffic since they are in K and 1st this year.

My question is how do you teach your children about something like that without traumatizing them, and so that they understand.  I want my children to know about it and how it affected the country, but I also dont want to scare them.

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (11-16):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

That's so sweet!

Quoting debramommyof4:

Yeah I get it.  The only reason why we talked about it last year was because my 6 year old was in a public kindergarten and I was afraid of what they might teach her.  I am very much about my kids learning truths but I want them to learn those kids from me and at a pass I set.  I didnt do a great job last year but I am hoping to do better this year in not scaring them.  They know about bad guys and have for awhile because thier Daddy was in the Marine Corps and when he deployed I told them that he went and fixed the helicopters that took down the bad guys so we could be safe.  Even at 2 if they thought I was sad they would say its ok Mommy, Daddy is just keeping us safe.  Talk about a tear jerker.

Quoting mem82:

I don't go into that much detail at that age, honestly. If I would talk about it at all, it would be along the lines of, "Some very bad men flew planes into these two buildings and many, many people lost there lives." Then I would discuss the new flight regulations and possibly the fact that we sent our Army over to arrest the man responsible. I see no point in scaring kids more than necessary. Life is so long and childhood is too short. I want my kids to retain some innocence while they are very young, you know?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
We watched a couple of the programs on 9/11 that were on TLC last night. The boys were aware of what happened on 9/11 but I had never allowed them to really see any of the images. So my husband and I explained our experiences from that day, since my eldest was 6 weeks old, and I saw it all live on the Today Show. But my boys are older, 11 & 8. And this was the 1st year we went into it deeply.

Previously I taught the day by mouth - I told them some bad men took planes and attacked the country, which is what precipitated our going to war with Iraq and Afghanistan. (they were already aware of the wars since we have military members in our family). So it as much more generic, bad people killed a lot of Americans so we went to war. This was the first year they watched documentaries.
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

We will discuss it some.  But they are in K4 and 1st.  We will discuss as we see fit and let them know what happened and how we feel about it and as they get older we will give them more details about how and why things happened the way they did.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Well, my husband is a history/nature junkie...lol.  If he's not watching the Waltons, Little House, or andy Griffith he is watching the History channel or National Geographic..lol.  With that being said,my daughter (almost 6) was in the living room last night when we were watcing. .  We discussed some of the video.  I did not go into great detail though.  I mainly just told her that some bad men decided to hijack (explained what the meant) several planes.  Then they made them crash into 3 different buildings and one went into a field.  I explained why the plane went into the field and not into another building.  Then she started asking me if the people in the building died or lived, if the people on all the planes died.  Then she asked me how many died.   My daughter is mature for her age in alot of ways.  She is very very curiuos. I do protect her, but I really want her to know that there are people out there that are bad people and I don't want to squash her curiosity.  She also has seen documentaries about the Titanic.  We just try to be as honest with her as possible without going overboard.

I also have older boys (14) and of course they know about 9/11.  When they were in PS they actually built the twin towers with planes going in and smoke coming out.  I will post a picture if you'd like.  The boys will be watching alot of different videos and they are also going to write a report on things that they see on the videos.  They are not doing much else as far as schoolwork for at least two days.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I talked to Caleb a bit about it last year. He is 4. He saw it on the news & asked what happened. I just told him very little. I just told him that planes hit our buildings a while ago but he didn't need to worry. It is such a touchy subject. It is one that really effected me deeply. :\ 

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

& as for programs, I don't know when I will let him. I still have a hard time watching them. I end up weeping & I'm not sure I want him to see that if that make sense. I don't know. It's  such a hard thing to talk about for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN