Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Simple arts & crafts ideas?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

One day a week we get to do a "fun" activity (we replace science that day). I'm not a crafty person, I don't like things that make a lot of mess or take a lot of effort--partially because my son isn't all that into it either and he'd rather just take the stuff and throw it around or tear it up or see how much of a mess he can make (I had gotten him one of those craft kits--yeah, bad idea). So things with minimum effort would work for both of us. He is also unable to color, one of dyspraxia issues, he just scribbles, so he doesn't like it. Finger painting is mostly him mixing the colors up rather than actually painting, LOL. 

Of course it doesn't have to be just art related, any other ideas are welcome as well.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Use  penne pasta (or any other dry pasta) to create his name.  Make patterns  or necklaces with different colored pasta.  

Cut out shapes out of construction paper and create "masterpieces." 

Staple paper plates together and add rice or beans inside to make a musical instrument.  

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Quoting JDsmomma07:

Use  penne pasta (or any other dry pasta) to create his name.  Make patterns  or necklaces with different colored pasta.  

Cut out shapes out of construction paper and create "masterpieces." 

Staple paper plates together and add rice or beans inside to make a musical instrument.  

Thank you! Good ideas! :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Do you recycle? If so, make a "Re~bot" ...its the name my boys came up with for a recycling robot!

Bring out some plastic bottles, cans, newspaper, paper towel or toilet paper rolls, etc. Son designs the bot and Mom uses a hot glue gun to put it together :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM
How old is DS? I will try and think of more tomorrow...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Do you recycle? If so, make a "Re~bot" ...its the name my boys came up with for a recycling robot!

Bring out some plastic bottles, cans, newspaper, paper towel or toilet paper rolls, etc. Son designs the bot and Mom uses a hot glue gun to put it together :)

That's something I really need to do (recycling). Though I'm not sure how good we'd be at designing that, LOL.

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

How old is DS? I will try and think of more tomorrow...

He's 5. :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM
We usually tie our crafts in with whatever history project we have going. And there are some fantastic arts & crafts blogs available on blogger.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Let him tear up different pieces of paper and make a collage.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I give my kids scissors, paper, and glue with random objects they can glue on, like pom poms, noodles, tooth pics, yarn.  Keeps them busy for an hour!  LOL

Another activity that isn't art, but fun and my kids love it - foam shaving cream on the dining table.  They go to town!  Making shapes, letters, piling it, smoothing it.  

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

This website looks like it has a ton of easy, barely any real effort crafts:

http://www.thecraftycrow.net/preschoolers/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)