Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Odd homeschool Grading

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 18 Replies
I have heard of them family who will not do grades at all and not only that but they don't even tell the children with a past a subject or failed on the class they just tell them that they didn't either better than average or at grade level or higher what do you guys think about idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I don't plan on grading. My State (Idaho) requires no reporting or testing and I think that as long as my child is learning, I don't need to test or grade my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
How do you know for sure that they really "got It"

Quoting BramblePatch:

I don't plan on grading. My State (Idaho) requires no reporting or testing and I think that as long as my child is learning, I don't need to test or grade my kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I am not doing grades with my 11 yr old. He was stressed out by public school grades and testing for too long. All I want for him now is to enjoy and understand the concepts the he can move on to other stuff.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Ater 5 years of HS, I've never done grades.  My kids are young though, 11 & 9.  My state does not require records.  That is not to say I don't correct some of their work, like daily journal entries and such.  When facilitating learning I work with a mastery approach in mind, so I know without a doubt, that they "get it."

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM
For me, I just know when it clicks and when it doesn't.

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

How do you know for sure that they really "got It"

Quoting BramblePatch:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM
We don't grade or test. I know my kid have learned new information when they use it in their lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I don't plan on grading this year, next year we are doing OHdela and they grade. This year we plan on lots of review to make sure she "gets it"

thatgirl70
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Well as I said in the other post, my friend grades for me. It is so I know how he's doing. Of course he's only in "Kindergarten" so it doesn't really matter at this point. I'm not planning on putting any pressure on him.

And I figure if at any point in time, if my state changes the requirements, I'll have the records for it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM
We don't do grading since we work toward proficiency. If the kids have a solid understanding of a subject then we move on, so it would all be a pass, which defeats the purpose of grading, IMO.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Quoting irvinehiker:

Ater 5 years of HS, I've never done grades.  My kids are young though, 11 & 9.  My state does not require records.  That is not to say I don't correct some of their work, like daily journal entries and such.  When facilitating learning I work with a mastery approach in mind, so I know without a doubt, that they "get it."

Same here.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)