Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have heard of them family who will not do grades at all and not only that but they don't even tell the children with a past a subject or failed on the class they just tell them that they didn't either better than average or at grade level or higher what do you guys think about idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Replies (11-18):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I go over each piece of work and mark the ones that are wrong and then we go back and work on the problems. My daughter is now in 6th grade and seemed to need more of an incentive to stay focused so I started telling her what her grade or average would have been on her work. It's made a difference. Instead of hearing, "You missed two because you got a little lazy with your ADDING," which didn't bother her at all, she now hears, "You got an 80%, a low B, sometimes C, because you got a little lazy with your adding." It has really cut down on silly mistakes.

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't grade my 1st grader...but my 10th grader definitely gets grades.  I have to keep a transcript, so I'm not sure how I would do it if I didn't grade.  

lucsch
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I haven't kept grades for my now 4th grader--yet. Perhaps in high school I will, for a transcript. However, I've been down that road with my older children. I know that keeping grades is a make or break issue for me. I don't like grading papers. Heck, I don't like giving tests or quizzes, either. Once I realized that I don't NEED to do any of that to homeschool successfully, homeschooling became a joyful experience for us.

Now, I DO check my dd's work. I just don't grade them. Anything that is done incorrectly is reworked. We skip the tests and quizzes in her math. This method seems to work well for my dd. We worked towards mastery, so I know she will get some of these skills eventually.

Other subjects, such as reading, I have her do narrations. She's just about old enough that I'm going to start assigning written narrations, too. She already does some notebooking. That really covers all the areas that testing usually does--comprehension, connections, and analysis. Actually, it performs better than testing, particular those T/F, fill-in-the blank, multiple choice and matching tests. Any good guesser can do those.

I know what she knows, therefore tests are superfluous.

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I don't grade either, really. Sometimes when my oldest 7th grade) works really hard on something he will ask, and I tell him (and usually it is based on how much real effort he puts into it and if he "got it"). 

If people ask (like hubby's family) then I say things like "Hunter gets all A's except math, he pulls a B in that." (because Hunter really struggles in math, and we have to go over things repeatedly, but he does get it).

JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My son does a combo Pre K and Kinder lessons.  I have a check list of all he should know at this age level and every few months, I'll do a quick "review" lesson to make sure he remembers and understands.     I don't believe in grading so I don't use a grading system.   It's all about profiency and and creating a well rounded and caring individual.  

Bethsunshine
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

We don't do grades either. We do check and correct their work so we know if they "got it" or not.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I do not do grades...our states requires either a portfolio or state issued test scores. I am probably going the portfolio route. I still check their work and I know if they understand it or not. If they did poorly then we go over it again. Learning isn't a sink or swim...it is a life long journey.
pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I love that!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I do not do grades...our states requires either a portfolio or state issued test scores. I am probably going the portfolio route. I still check their work and I know if they understand it or not. If they did poorly then we go over it again. Learning isn't a sink or swim...it is a life long journey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN