Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your grading toughness

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 18 Replies
Do you teach your children like some schools do like graded based on the curve? Or do you give them a little bit of leeway? Do you set a hardline and let you know if this is the right or wrong answer ? how do you guys do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

well, we dont' grade, not sure maybe I will give grades when they are older.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM

No grades here, just learning.    Maybe in high school for the purpose of a diploma or college entry. 

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM
No grades or tests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I don't grade, I leave that to my friend. She's doing pass/fail so I'm sure she's lenient, but fair. And it's not really anything official, it's just so I can get some kind of idea how he's doing.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I always tell my oldest what it would be in school. I tell her if I can't read it, it would be marked wrong, too. I think now that she is getting older, she needs to be more prepared for the college mind set. Cole is only in second grade so I give him much more leeway.

oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

hi saved!!

i dont grade at all!!!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

No I am extremely difficult on my kids.  I try to make it fun with smiley faces and hearts when they do good.  I make them redo when they get things wrong.  THey are in K and 1st so I let them know that while it is ok to make mistakes they have to do thier best.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I grade and test math as it is part of the curriculum (Math U See) but the daily lessons, we correct any that are missed to figure out what they did wrong and then move on. I don't track them and give report cards.

The Charter School generates report cards, 2x a year, in January and June. Grades are based on my comments and her discussions with the kids during our meeting, not on actually seeing every assignment as I only turn in one assignment per subject per month.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

we don't grade yet either, so far.  I just check her work and go over what she missed with her so she can correct it and understand how/why it was wrong.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't grade at all. I don't see the point since we teach for proficiency. The grading curve is meant to make record of ps teachers seem better than they are, and do no good for a child who might be struggling. (since it make it seem like the child has a better grasp of the topic than they really do)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN