Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Do you teach your children like some schools do like graded based on the curve? Or do you give them a little bit of leeway? Do you set a hardline and let you know if this is the right or wrong answer ? how do you guys do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Replies (11-18):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I don't grade anything except the phonics test and mostly likely the spelling test because they are from the same curriculum. The curriculum has it set up to do that but I don't make a big deal about it. If she misses any I don't just mark them wrong and say too bad, we go over them to see why she missed them.
I want her to be aware and understand the grading system for later down the road.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I grade my 9th-grader's work.  He'll be tested to enter college and/or the military (he's not completely sure what path he'll take yet) and those institutions don't hand out smiley faces and stickers.  LOL!  

We review incorrect answers to see what went wrong, so that I'll know what gaps we need to fill before he takes quizzes and tests.

I give partial credit, when earned; otherwise, wrong is wrong.

lucsch
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Having only one child to homeschool, there is no curve!

I don't grade. I expect all the work to be done, and done neatly. I make corrections or mark areas to discuss or redo.

Only correct what you've taught, especially with writing.

Savedfromsin79
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

When I say grade.. I mean do you give them quiz's or tests in some way shape or form.. Even photo copied worksheets that your kids do and Then you say.. ok this one is not right. 

If they do or  do not have to re-do it.. Or if you give report cards or not.. etc.. DO YOU IN ANYWAY LET YOUR CHILD KNOW AND ALSO FOR YOUR BENEFIT look at their work and say.. yep they did it right.. or nope they don't understand the concept yet..

falling.rayn
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
We don't grade. We teach to proficiency. When they learn the lesson they are done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM

No, I don't give tests specifically for assessment. I already know what my dd knows. I do look at her work and we go over it, discussing anything she missed. I do have high expectations, but assessment is not really necessary as a separate activity.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We do grade, but that is b/c that is how our "boxed" curriculum is set up.  I have to send some things back to them for them to see what we have done before our "report card" is issued.  We send in our grades every six weeks.  I go  over daily assignments so that we can correct the information that she missed so that she won't make the same mistakes next time.

oredeb
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

hi saved, i dont give a whole lota quizes, sometimes i do, cuz of atitudes or something i feel they need to be tested or quized on, some i make up and some i use a copied worksheet, and if they get it wrong they redo it, looking up the answers and telling me how they found them and where

no report cards here, and yes i always look at the work to see what they are learning and not learning, thats how i know how they are doing! and if they arent getting the concept we go over it,

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

When I say grade.. I mean do you give them quiz's or tests in some way shape or form.. Even photo copied worksheets that your kids do and Then you say.. ok this one is not right. 

If they do or  do not have to re-do it.. Or if you give report cards or not.. etc.. DO YOU IN ANYWAY LET YOUR CHILD KNOW AND ALSO FOR YOUR BENEFIT look at their work and say.. yep they did it right.. or nope they don't understand the concept yet..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)