Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Trying to decide what to do....virtual or traditional!?!

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

It seems every time I get sure of our decision about what to use for our curriculum something happens to make myself second guess things. 
Right now we're really debating between using a DVD (or streaming) cirriculum vs myself teaching the kids. 
Do any of you ladies use DVDs/streaming with your children?  For all classes or just some?  Have you tried both ways?  Pros and cons of traditional homeschool vs virtual homeschool? 
I'm looking for any and all opinions! 
Thanks so much!! 

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I would advocate DVD lesson, or streamed lessons but NOT the K12 type virtual public school.

We use a charter school so I do most of their teaching but my Jr high and high schooler also go to co~op classes for some subjects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
We do streaming on Netflix for lots of history & science
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I've only done traditional. Here's a bump!!

I think with young kids traditional is more hands on and the better way to go.

Rachel728
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

The virtual program we are looking at would be 10-20 min of screen time for each class plus the textbook/workbook/hands-on part of the class.   I wouldn't want them to ONLY be sitting in front of the TV/computer.  But I like the idea of them having a 'real teacher'.  I guess the big draw for me is that it would be easier for me...I think? 

oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

well i think traditional the best!!!hahhaha but thats all ive ever done!

do what would make you feel confident teaching your kids!

ive noticed lately sometimes moms start out with a online one to get their confidence up and then go on to traditional homeschooling

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I ue a Charter school. We are assigned a "realteacher" ... that titlewith us is a joke. She does ZERO of their teaching and sends me an assignement sheet once a month that I don't follow at all... LMAO I report to her the grades my kids should be getting and that's what she puts in for them. (Glad DH hasn't figured this out - he thinks we are monitored all the time..LOL)

The teachers in K12 are pretty much the same, though they follow grades and attendance a little more closely and will. When my nephew had online classes, the teachers in those had no clue who was supposed to be there. they taught at assigned times and different kids just showed up once a week. IE0 if you took 4th grade math... there were math classes on Mon, Wed, Fri at noon  - it didn't matter which you did as long as it showed on your checking long that you did one of them so a particular "teacher" woldn't necessarily kow your student. KWIM?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This :) I don't think I'd like an all online or tv education, personally.

Quoting oredeb:

well i think traditional the best!!!hahhaha but thats all ive ever done!

do what would make you feel confident teaching your kids!

ive noticed lately sometimes moms start out with a online one to get their confidence up and then go on to traditional homeschooling

Rachel728
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I really don't like the idea of doing virtual school but my confidence in myself as 'teacher' is really shaking.  My kids are 4, 2.5 and 7 months right now so it's not an immediate thing.  I'm just worried that once they are all in school there won't be enough of me to go around....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I totally understand!  I was so nervous in the beginning also!  The good news is, your kids are super young so you can "break yourself into it slowly".  Preschool is easy and fun!  You do what you can do, and that is good.  You're learning every day through everything you do.  Have them count as you button their shirts.  Steps they take, have them help in the kitchen.  Name everything!  "This is a red apple."  "What color is this banana?"  "Can you find something that is a circle?"

Kindergarten is easy and fun also.  Heck, I'm on second grade and I'm having fun still!  

My advice is to read up on the Charlotte Mason method, and also get the book "The well trained mind" by Jessie Wise Bauer from your local library.  The CM method is such an easy, natural way to teach.  And The WTM book gives you such a great guide of what should be taught each year, and how.  www.simplycharlottemason.com is a great website for the CM method.  It even gives you curriculum suggestions.  You can do it for pretty much free if you have a good library.  

My kids are 7, 3 and 3 months.  We are on our first week back to school and things are going a lot better than I had thought they would!  The thing I have been doing is relaxing!  Knowing that we are Homeschoolers, and that we can do our lessons whenever we need to.  If we get math and handwriting done in the morning, then I have to feed the baby, or run an errand, we can always do spelling and reading in the afternoon.  We do literature every night before bed as a bed time story.  You can incorporate it into your daily life so easily, I promise :)

Quoting Rachel728:

I really don't like the idea of doing virtual school but my confidence in myself as 'teacher' is really shaking.  My kids are 4, 2.5 and 7 months right now so it's not an immediate thing.  I'm just worried that once they are all in school there won't be enough of me to go around....

oredeb
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM

hi rachel, at this age just practice!!

do arts and crafts stuff and see how it goes! then next year do more schooling stuff with oldest and let the others sit in and do coloring etc, then the next year add the next oldest child to the schooling etc!

Quoting Rachel728:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN