Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home "Schooling", 2 year old schedule question

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am helping with some curriculum development for the toddlers at my work, and I was slowly gearing up to do the same thing with my child at home, but since I was asked to do this for work, I figured that I might as well just follow along with my son, with some added awesomeness. 

Does anyone do an organized "homeschool" their toddler?  How does it fit in to your day?  

As a side note, we are not talking workbooks or anything all day or hardcore here. We are talking, reading stories, coordinated crafts and motor skill development -- and for my son "field trips".

So far it is a weekly/bi weekly program based on letters so week 1, "A", week 2 "B"

Toddler Time consists of:

-Two stories
-Song and Movement 
-Sign language related to topic
-Craft Activity
-Free sensory play 

For my son we would do "field trips" (like the animal park/airport)

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

With my 2 year old and 3 year old we bought Adventures in Learning, just because I didnt have time to get anything set up.

Our day for just them goes

Circle time- talking about the weather, calendar, shapes, colors and letters of the week.  There is lots of singing and play and them being very involved. 

Then free play with a few toys we got for hand eye cordination and hand muscle development.

Art or activity time- we follow our lesson plans, we are going to work on letter art and activities with letters numbers and shapes

More free fun play with thier toys

Then we are going to sit and talk about out day and what we learned and played. 

I dont expect them to want to do this everyday, but when they want to do school we will, especially my 2 year old.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I would check out the blog confessionsofahomeschooler.com. She has a decent curriculum.

www.letteroftheweek.com

Have fun!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM
I started focused work w/ my kids when they were about 2.5 y/o. Whatever we were doing that day, the 'lesson' would take less than 20 minutes from start to finish, and we did 2-3 such lessons broken up throughout the day.

I enjoyed using www.letteroftheweek.com and the following are some of the things I did:

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Pre-preschool
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-young-too-young--1541795.html?cat=4
http://voices.yahoo.com/home-education-young-child-782315.html?cat=4

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I used to have to plan the day when I worked in a preschool.  I can't remember exactly, it's been 7 years!  LOL  But it was basically:

Welcome to class, with free play while everone came in.  

Circle time, where we would do calendar, talk about the letter or shape/color of the day, read a story, talk about the story afterwards.

Then we'd do a little activity to go along with the book.  Like, if it was "if you give a mouse a cookie" we might count paper chocolate chips on a paper cookie and glue them on.  

Then center time, where kids would move from dramatic play, blocks, science area, writing/reading area, art area.  

Go outside

potty/hands

come in and have snack

another activity

more center time

potty/hands/lunch

nap

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

forgot to add, we don't really have a "schedule" here at home for preschool.  We start the day with calendar and story, then I do an activity with the younger one, get her going, work with my 7 year old, go back and help the younger one again.  We do the workbox system, so both know to work through their boxes in order.  The 3yo has boxes 1-6 and 3 star boxes at the end.  The 7 year old has about 5 boxes a day with subjects in them.  I'll often have an extra box with a game to do with them after they are done. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:19 AM

that sounds fun, how long a day does it take? do the kids get to free play? be creative?

Shermy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM
For the program at work it is

Two stories
Song
Fun movement activity
A few related signs
Craft activity
Free sensory play

This is an hour with some overlap (like the tiny kids won't/developmentally can't spend the same time on the craft activity as the older kids, so the sensory play would be more geared towards them).

For my son, I plan on doing it differently and more relaxed. Really just as a tool for ME to guide/plan my day/weeks (So this week, I know Tuesday, Thrusday we are going to the zoo to see Animals, and the airport to see airplanes, which leaves three days for other activities)

Quoting oredeb:

that sounds fun, how long a day does it take? do the kids get to free play? be creative?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN