Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Confessions

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Short background on my two HS'd students: DD12 is using K12 this year and we're traditionally schooling DS14.  

A moment ago, I realized that I am doing this all wrong with DS!  I'm schooling him at home vs. homeschooling him!  The "mold" approach hasn't worked for us, so I have no idea why I've clung to a few remaining ideas that I need to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.  I need to toss out the PS practices that don't work for us and forge our own way of doing things.  Better to discover this now rather than later.  LOL!

OK, what are your confessions?  Surely you have some. :)

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I tried to teach my son the same way I taught his sister, which was all wrong. Horribly wrong. To say that I failed his Kinder year is an under statement.

Sometimes, we don't school because I'm too lazy. LOL

Sometimes, we school every day for a month because I don't want to break the great stride we have going on. 8)

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Oh, I wish I could be lazy, but if I were, DS would expect it to become the norm.  

I haven't tried to school every day (just M-F), but I sneak in some supplemental, weekend schooling, via Netflix or library DVDs, to keep up any great stride as you said.  I am careful to not "teach" while the "movie" is playing...just "discuss" topics of interest.  Sneaky!

To your point about teaching your DS the same was as his sister, I keep reminding myself that we homeschool, because "one size does not fit all", but I get brain-freeze and forget sometimes.  OK, a lot of times.  LOL!  It frustrates DS and me, so I need to get with it and deschool my OWN way of thinking.

I just revamped our schedule a little to account for my epiphany!  The tweaking will never end, but it's all good.

Anyone else have confessions?

Quoting mem82:

I tried to teach my son the same way I taught his sister, which was all wrong. Horribly wrong. To say that I failed his Kinder year is an under statement.

Sometimes, we don't school because I'm too lazy. LOL

Sometimes, we school every day for a month because I don't want to break the great stride we have going on. 8)

JayDee38
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Most of us have probably been there right where you find yourself now! I love the square peg, round hole analogy. It's a learning process for our children and us!

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Indeed it is a learning process for all of us.  Flexibility is key.  

This fall, I'm turning over a new leaf!  No pun intended.  :)

falling_leaves

Quoting JayDee38:

Most of us have probably been there right where you find yourself now! I love the square peg, round hole analogy. It's a learning process for our children and us!

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

on days when i'm feeling less than motivated, i come up with a "field trip" idea.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I did the same as you when I first started HS'ing. I remembered playing school and I kinda recreated that...epic fail! I had to realize I'm a somewhat anal retentive organizational freak. Lol
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it!  There's a ton to learn all around, so why not?  LOL!

Quoting almondpigeon:

on days when i'm feeling less than motivated, i come up with a "field trip" idea.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

You played school, too?  It was my favorite thing to do in my free time.  Most neighborhood kids didn't want to be students, but I always managed to find a sucker or two.  :)  I'm learning that it's not how real teaching works though.  My kids aren't my neighborhood friends who are pretending to play school.

Yes, I'm just as anal as can be, but that's not working for my kids, so I see lots of changes in my near future unless I want an epic fail. :-)  Anal people don't like failure.  LOL!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I did the same as you when I first started HS'ing. I remembered playing school and I kinda recreated that...epic fail! I had to realize I'm a somewhat anal retentive organizational freak. Lol

kajira
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

That I sometimes expect him to do more work than he wants to do, simply because I think it would take me less then 5 minuts and I have to remember what it was like to be 8 and learn everything for the first time... (and then realize it really takes about 20 minutes... and try not to bang my head on the wall when he spends 3 hours procrastinating, and then does it in 15 just to spite me.)

JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM

I love teaching my son and homeschooling but it's nice sometimes having one/two days out of the week (depending on when I have to work mornings),  to have my dad do a little school with my son. My dad is old school and really doesn't know much about hands on engaging activities so I'll give my son and my dad more structured work ( like worksheets or reading a book).   But it gives me a little bit of a break since I do work at home and outside the home. Let's me know that my son is reinforcing what he's learning and he gets some grandpa time too.   Then I make it up by doing some fun, engaging activities. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)