Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Short background on my two HS'd students: DD12 is using K12 this year and we're traditionally schooling DS14.  

A moment ago, I realized that I am doing this all wrong with DS!  I'm schooling him at home vs. homeschooling him!  The "mold" approach hasn't worked for us, so I have no idea why I've clung to a few remaining ideas that I need to try to fit a square peg into a round hole.  I need to toss out the PS practices that don't work for us and forge our own way of doing things.  Better to discover this now rather than later.  LOL!

OK, what are your confessions?  Surely you have some. :)

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Replies (11-14):
eniarrol75
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM
I let her Dad do the grading and checking and testing.

I get to do the fun stuff, instruction, field trips, crafts... And he gets to do the reinforcements....lol.

It seems to keep us both accountable...anyone had this backfire?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I do the underestimating thing, too, and like your son, mine sometimes gets through the work quickly after making me want to pull out my hair and quit this unpaid job!  They're too cute to not love them though.  :-)

Quoting kajira:

That I sometimes expect him to do more work than he wants to do, simply because I think it would take me less then 5 minuts and I have to remember what it was like to be 8 and learn everything for the first time... (and then realize it really takes about 20 minutes... and try not to bang my head on the wall when he spends 3 hours procrastinating, and then does it in 15 just to spite me.)

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Aww, I love that your dad is willing to jump in there and teach when you need him.  Adorable!  Even though he is really "bad cop" with the old school methods, your son doesn't know it, so everyone is happy.  Nice of you to swoop in and do some fun activities after they've had their time together.  Your DS surely is blessed. :)

Quoting JDsmomma07:

I love teaching my son and homeschooling but it's nice sometimes having one/two days out of the week (depending on when I have to work mornings),  to have my dad do a little school with my son. My dad is old school and really doesn't know much about hands on engaging activities so I'll give my son and my dad more structured work ( like worksheets or reading a book).   But it gives me a little bit of a break since I do work at home and outside the home. Let's me know that my son is reinforcing what he's learning and he gets some grandpa time too.   Then I make it up by doing some fun, engaging activities. 

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Too funny!  I'm the enforcer in my house, so I haven't had pleasure of being the good guy.  I'd jump at the chance if I could.  I want to be fun mommy for once.  

blowing bubbles

Quoting eniarrol75:

I let her Dad do the grading and checking and testing.

I get to do the fun stuff, instruction, field trips, crafts... And he gets to do the reinforcements....lol.

It seems to keep us both accountable...anyone had this backfire?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN