Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Foreign Language (namely *edit* Spanish) free/inexpensive resources?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM
  • 2 Replies

8yo DD (9 at the end of the month - OMG!) has taken an interest in learning French. I found a collection of DVDs by Language Tree at the library today and she hopped into it as soon as we were done with her other work. I'm going to do some searching around (including on their site), but do you ladies know of any free/inexpensive resources for learning foreign languages? Tips for learning/teaching? I took Spanish in high school but don't remember much more than the funny stuff ("No me toques!" to the boys lol) and what I've relearned via Dora.

ETA: I am saved!! After watching some of the interactive DVD she has decided to go with Spanish... wise choice considering probably 30% (guessing here) of our county is Hispanic. I was beginning to watch some French videos and stuff and I can't even fathom how to help her learn. I understand how to read/pronounce Spanish for the most part (despite not knowing what most of the words mean). DH will be happy too. He said learning French was "pointless"... I can see where he's coming from but he is just beginning to understand that when a child says, "I want to learn _____" you let the child learn!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Knightquester
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don't know about French since my children are learning Japanese this year.  They take a Japanese course from 9-12:30 every Saturday and to keep up on what they've covered they have homework from their sensei (teacher).  I also have found many free resources for Japanese online that I give them through the week.

My suggestion is to type in your browser Free French worksheets and see what you get, when I did it some nice sites that came up.  There are programs that cost you can purchase that I've heard good results from, Rosetta Stone is one of them and I know that there are others.  Bonne chance!

Knightquester
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

*shrug* I really don't see how learning something you don't know could be pointless.

My husband who was born and raised here in America knows Japanese, French, Spanish, German, and sign language.  He knows a little Italian and Russian, but not a lot.  He has always picked up languages quickly and although he was a language major in college when we met he switched later to computers and now concentrates on computer languages.  In his life he's met people of all backgrounds including French and knowing how to speak it has helped him.  I guess my point is you never know just how much something you learn early in life will effect you later in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN